How to make a boot cd that doesn't suck?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Deus Ex Aethera, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I've been trying for days (not continuously) to make a bootable CD from my old Win98 bootdisk + a bunch of coold DOS programs. The total size of the whole project is MUCH bigger than a standard 1.44MB floppy disk, so I can't just cheap out and use Roxio Creator's Bootable CD setting.

Does anybody know how to just pile a bunch of files onto a CD and have the computer boot from it? Is it even possible?

If not, how can I at least take an ISO image of the files that I want on the disc (again, much, much bigger than a 1.44MB floppy) and feed it into Roxio using the Bootable CD feature and then have it actually work right?

2. Riiiiiiight....

Riiiiiiight.... AVAST!!!!

You'll want to take a look at this page. He has tools that will help you create your own bootable .iso that you can burn to a cd. He also has his own boot cd .iso that you can download and use.

http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Why do you have to make the entire contents of the CD bootable? When you make the bootable CD, you can still add items to the CD that the boot image can access. I do it all the time with a ghost image. I use the 1.44 floppy image to boot, and then there's a batch file that addresses the rest of the CD. The trick is that the boot image and its contents are referred to as a drive, and the rest of the CD is referred to as a CD drive (the drive letter is dependant on your commands in the MSCDEX command or if not specified it will be the first drive letter available after b:.

Roxio has worked all the time for me doing exactly that so I don't know what you are doing wrong.

4. The batch file would be a nice idea, but if I modify ANY of the contents of the 1.44MB floppy image I was using (via WinImage), it no longer boots. So I can't figure out how to automatically access the "CD" portion of the disc along with the "Floppy" portion.

5. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Beat me to it. That is one of the most useful utilities I've ever seen. His boot disk > all others.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well that's just it, you make a new floppy boot image with Roxio. It's simple. You can even do all of your bug work with the floppy and CD before you finalize the boot image of the floppy since the drive letters do NOT change when you go from a boot floppy to a CD boot image - that image is still a: drive.

1) Create floppy that boots to DOS or whatever - bare minimum for booting
    2) Fire up Roxio and Select Boot Image
    3) Create new boot image from floppy
    4) Once it's done, drag and drop ~700 mbs of data onto the CD anywhere you want to
    5) Burn
    6) ???????
    7) Profit

Just remember, anything on the floppy is referred to as a: drive, anything that you dragged and dropped is referred to as the cd drive (d:, e:... whatever).

7. I don't have a floppy drive on my computer. This process would be a lot easier if I could actually make a physical boot disk and then image it. What I need to know how to do is make a floppy boot image without using an actual floppy disk.