how to lower pagefile usage??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Epik High, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

I have a computer that boots with 170 megs of PF usage. Now I only have very few essential programs and services starting up with windows. Now after using my machine for a while, I close every program and the PF usage ups to 220 megs. When I reformat the machine, THEN the pF usage is something like 107 megs at most. I also have a laptop with similar specs and the exact same programs loading up, and it boots with 130 megs of PF usage...wtf. Its significantly less than my desktop. Is there any tweak I can use to lower my PF usage? I keep feeling like it should be significantly lower.

2. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

You can lower it but Windows will nag you all the time that it is too small.

You can right click on My Computer and select Properties. Then choose the Advanced tab. From there choose Performance Options and then click the Change button. You can alter the starting size and maximum size. Do you really need the extra 100megs though? I'd leave well enough alone. Mine is set to start at 400MB and go from there.