how to lift a car...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by idontgiveashit, Oct 7, 2003.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

i have a 1978 bonneville with a buick 455 my parents are making my drive this winter....so ive decided that i need to redneck it out. So far, its getting 4 KC lights on the top, police push bar, 31 inch all terrrain tires, but i need to know how to lift it, ive asked aroudn and all ive got is to put tennis balls in the shocks..seems liek it would work i suppose but does anyone have anyother ideas?

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster New Member

hockey pucks would be the next reliable option. I dont think cares are made to be lifted :)

3. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

As I recall having grown up in Michigan and seeing lifted cars before, they were actually car bodies on 4x4 frames.

I think the idea is extremely stupid and may end with you flipping said car or careening out of control on some icy road. But that is your choice since you obviously want to rebel against your parents.

To help you along with your stupidity the safest option is air shocks. These will lift your car a couple of inches anyways. Not sure if you can put them on the front though. Next option would be a body lift, but finding one you can buy would be impossible and would result in some homemade job that would be a threat to public safety.

Be smart, don't lift it, appreciate what you have and drive safely.

4. idontgiveashit

im probably gona lean toward the airshocks on the rear, but i just wanted to know how to lift the front end, im not necessarely rebeling against my parents, they thought it was funny when i told them what i was going to do. Whats wrong with flipping the axle though? And are you talking to put the hockey pucks under the shocks or as a body lift?

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

its funny you metnion that

6. idontgiveashit

<i have a small pee pee

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2003
  7. reido

reido New Member

The shocks wont do a thing. shocks resist movement in the suspension and air shocks are just shocks with compressed nitrogen in them to prevent shock fade. Springs are what give the car it's ride height. You could jimmy rig a suspension lift but if you have to ask how to do this you shouldn't do it. If the car is body on frame as some old cars are, you might be able to buy some body lift blocks and fit them in there. But make sure you know what you are doing beforehand.