MMA How to kill nerves in leg? lol

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by CrazyFoool, Jan 8, 2007.

1. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

When I kick something hard, it fucking stings my leg more than it should. How the fuck do I get the nerves to die off so I can keep kicking. haha

2. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

condition them, just keep kicking. Or you can do it old school and bang your shins with bamboo sticks every night while you watch T.V :dunno: Just suck it up man and use your pain to get mad and kick harder, it should get numb after a while.

3. DSPNLM

DSPNLM New Member

I've heard of taking a rolling pin and rolling it across you're shins while you're watching tv.

4. teep

teep New Member

What do you mean by "when I kick something hard"? Do you mean when you go shin to shin? Or are you kicking things you shouldn't be? I really advise against banging pieces of wood on your shins. Just keep up with your bag and pad work. If you want work the heavier bags with your kicks, starting softly at first and gradually increasing power. I know in some places they still kick banana trees, but even when they do its never with alot of power. Thai fighters have such tough shins and bodies because they were developed gradually since they were only kids. Not because someone blasts them with knees or hits them with sticks before they go to bed. Thats why whenever you do clinch work and knees with a partner you never come in straight with the knee like you normally would in a fight. You come in relatively softly from the side. Even that after 45 minutes will start to really hurt.

5. teep

teep New Member

:werd: There are far more important things than having tough shins, even in the muay thai game. And this isn't directed at any of you because I don't personally know anyone here, but I always see stuff like this in two kinds of people. Beginners and people who think they're hard core, but in actuallity have no idea what they're doing. I.e I know someone who bangs 2x4s on his shins and bags with his bare hands till his knuckles are bloody and can't function properly.

6. MagicGAT

MagicGAT New Member

it doesnt really work, tried it for like a month with 0 change :dunno:

7. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Invest in these

[​IMG]

8. xinster

xinster New Member

absolutely not. don't roll anything over your shins. Just tap em repeatedly everywhere you use em and use your fuckin head regarding the force and amount of times your tapping them.

and its not nerve damage, it's really just recalcification via wolf's law to protect the nerves. It's like when you get circumcized, your cockhead gets desensitized because of cornification (extra skin) growing over your head to protect it in place of your foreskin

9. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

:rofl:

As far as I know there is no long term damage. The conditioning goal is to increase bone density. There hasn't been any long term damage for me, :dunno: though cuz i'm only 24 years old. I do however notice that whenever I take an extended break from training the sensitivity comes back and then when i start training again i have to recondition them.

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

it's never really bothered me unless I go too high on the shin, but that's bad anyways. Keep up with the bagwork and it'll be ok.

11. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Yea I know it's not long long term but I started when I was 16...But I do know instructors who've done it much longer and they are healthy as a horse (still teaching)...so :dunno:

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

when you bash your bones against something like that it causes microfractures, and any time you fracture a bone it grows stronger in that area... bashing them on a heavy bag, which is pretty well padded, will likely cause bone growth in those areas rather than bone weakening.

I really don't think there would be any negative long term effects of bag training with kicks. Nerve damage perhaps, maybe you wouldn't have any feeling in your lower shins.

13. teep

teep New Member

Those are awesome...Now if I could only get a pair of these too I'd be ready to take Fedor

[​IMG]

14. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

You are right about the microfractures. Kicking a heavy bag/pads will cause a change in the crystalline structure in your bones, creating a denser and stronger bone.

I haven't heard of any problems from doing MT long term, however, the old myth about using a rolling pin on your shins is exactly that. The rolling pin doesn't serve to strengthen the bone, but it kills all the nerves. The rumor was around my old gym was that it created a lot of problems later in life.

So the key is to slowly build up your bones over the course of years, and don't push it too fast.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

absolutely. Rolling pin on the legs sounds fucking retarded to me, but then again kicking a bag has never really hurt much except maybe some stinging on the skin itself and some soreness in the bone after a hard day of kicking... typically I'll do it three times a week, every other day. I've actually also wrapped my legs before which worked really nice and lessened the bone bruising so to speak.

Just stick with the bag.

16. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

Have you ever seen Kickboxer?

17. Kuet

Kuet New Member

part of my new years resolution.:noes:

kidding

18. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

I guess i'm going to start banging shit against my shins lol.

They hurt more than they should...another thing, I can't kick soccer balls or anything w/ my barefoot either, it fucking hurts more thananything...i guess i should bang shit on to top of my foot too so i can kick balls. sometimes even w/ my shoes on, when I kick one of those small hard footballs, if it hits the right spot, it stings likehell.

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

dude you're training in fighting and you're seriously bitching about a little stinging on your skin? I'm usually not judgemental of my cage ngas, but man up!

It will go away with bagwork. People have alerady said that treating your legs with rolling pins or beating them with a sock full of something hard is only going to cause damage, whereas consistent bag work will make the pain go away AND strengthen the bones used in kicking.

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

bumping this thread to ask a question: what kind of bag do you have? how new is it?

I got a new heavy bag and this shit HURTS to kick... I think if I kicked it full force I'd seriously fracture my shin. I'm actually contemplating two things:

1) beating the shit out of this thing daily with a baseball bat to soften it up
    2) taking out a few lbs of of the filling to loosen up the inside

I know it sounds majorly pussified, but seriously I want to practice full force kicks and this thing hurts more to kick than it does to kick a leg.

21. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Yeah, I have an everlast (whatever that boxing company is called) bag at home that my dad had picked up. Waay too light, I want a full length banana bag, but that's expensive and I'm off to Houston in a month, so it's pointless.

It's probably a good idea to take some of the filling out, and work it for awhile, then gradually add more.

What does everyone think is the best filling for a bag? I always thought having an inner core of rice/sand with cloth around it would be best, but I have no idea how to do it.

22. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

I say stick with it if you're serious. Imagine how much force you'll be able to kick someone's leg with? We've got the big bags at our dojo, probably 200 lbs or so? Those things hardly give, so it sucks, but you get used to it.

On that note, it's freakin FREEZING in our dojo, to the point you can see your own breath and steam comes off your body, and IT WAS A BITCH to accidentally kick the heavy bag with my foot instead of my shins! I also nailed my precious toes with a jump rope several times. Damn I hate training in cold weather.

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: I missed a little and kicked with the main blow of force on the foot rather than shin/ankle, and that shit hurt so bad.... felt like I nearly ripped my foot off.