How to install 2 video cards (not SLI)?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drumbandit, Dec 18, 2007.

1. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I just built my computer last night but I'm having problems installing both video cards. One is a Quadro NVS 400 and the other is an 8600GT. The GeForce is obviously a PCI-E and the Quadro is PCI.

It runs OK with just the 8600GT. But if I slip in the Quadro, I get blue screened upon Windows trying to detect new hardware. I try to boot into safe mode and install the drivers that way but then I get blue screened right before the Windows login. I read somewhere that the trick is to use Forceware drivers that are compatible for both cards, but I've gone as far back as release 90 with no luck. Anybody have any ideas?

My comp specs are here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3558008

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Never tried to run a GeForce and a Quadro. Two Quadros works fine, two geforces work fine. a geforce and a radeon work fine.... but I think a geforce and a quadro might have driver issues.

Have you tried the quadro on its own to eliminate that as a problem?

Why are you trying to run those two cards?

3. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

I'm trying to run four monitors. 3-2005fpw and an old dell ultrasharp 17". I want to add more later. I bought the 8600GT with the intention of using it to watch an HD movie whenever I get the chance.

They forgot to include the DMS breakout cables for the Quadro so I'll be getting them on Thursday. However, for some reason I'm able to boot up with both cards but there's a blank screen signal from the 8600GT as soon as Windows finishes loading. This is even with the "init display first" set to PCI-E in the bios settings. I'm also able to power down using Alt-F4 -> Enter, so I know for sure it didn't blue screen.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess. :o

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

windows isn't gonna honor the init-display-first setting in bios. Whatever the multi-mon config in windows thinks, that's what it's gonna do.

You didn't answer my question: Have you tried the quadro on it's own to eliminate that as a problem?

5. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

It'd be hard for me to check that since I don't have the cables yet, wouldn't it? I know it could probably post and boot into windows but as far as seeing if a signal shows up or lack thereof, it would have to wait.