How to incorporate speed work without overtraining?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jazz, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

Kinda long post, so you can just read the bold parts for my training goals and days I can work in exercises for it.

I did what I set out to do this summer and managed to catch the eye of some scouts and got invited to Rugby 7's tryouts for the Canadain national team.

There are two components to it, the fitness and the skill. The skill part I'll do what I can do, but I want to incorporate workouts to my regular training schedule that will help the fitness part.

Here's their fitness test along with minimum times they expect (done in groups of ~6 with sprints sequentially, but 400m and 2400m as a group):
    60m <7.5s
    5 minute break following last finisher
    400m <55s
    15 minute break following last finisher
    2400m <9:00min

They want a recorded 2400m in 10:30 or less the first day before they'll let you continue practicing, and then they want the numbers above before you're selected to tour with the team. I'm not too worried about making the practice squad, but I want to be on the coaches minds for team selection by spring.

Currently I'm at:
    60m 7.37s
    400m 54s
    2400m 9:28

So I'm actually doing quite well, but those numbers aren't gonna allow me to stand out from the crowd which is all these things are about.

Here's my current schedule based around the club 15's team I play for:
    Su: ~20min light jog
    M: Weight training
    Tu: Team practice
    W: Plyos
    Th: Weight training & team practice
    F: Off
    Sa: Game day

To break down the intensity levels I'll start with game day.

Sa: I'm beat - I don't think I'll be adding anything here.
    Su: This day really depends on the game - it can be anything from sore as hell, to quite good. I can easily incorporate some speed stuff here on good days.
    M: This is my "hard day" for weights. It's basically the monday of the Bill Starr 5x5 on the madcow website. I hit the gym in the evenings, so the morning might be a good time to add some speed stuff.
    T: Practice - I don't find it terribly tough, but the timing of things makes it hard to add anything else this day unless it's early mornings.
    W: Plyos - usually mix up the exercises, but go for 400 foot contacts. I find this harder than either of the practices, but I could replace it with some speed training. Alternatively, as I'm coming off a pretty light tuesday, I could do a morning/evening thing where I do some speed training before work and the plyos in the evening.
    Th: Medium weight day - basically the friday from the madcow site with some military presses thrown in. This is followed by practice which again isn't really the hardest workout of the week. It ends up being a pretty long day, so I don't think I'd add much here.
    Fr: I could do some light stuff here, but I like to give my body a day of rest before games. Right now all I do is my daily morning 5 min warmup on the treadmill and stretching.

So given that, who has some ideas for types of drills I can incorporate for speed training?

I have available:
    Su: Light to moderate.
    M: Mornings - heavy.
    Tu: Morning - heavy.
    W: Mornings - moderate, or really heavy evenings (but probably not both)
    F: Light.

I wanna work the speed stuff in without really overworking my body and ending up injured every week.

I'll read through relevant stuff here as well as google searches. I just thought I'd post this to both collect my thoughts, and to see if anybody had any advice. Feel free to add things to the week or totally change everything around (save for Tu/Th practice and Sa games). For refererence I'm an openside flanker in 15's and prop in 7's. For those unfamiliar with rugby imagine a program for a football linebacker in season looking to maintain strength and gain speed.

2. seven

seven New Member

3. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

4. ZeroSkillet

ZeroSkillet Matt Hughes > *

5. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

the only person who can incorporate speed work into your regimine w/o overtraining is you.

speed work is quality work. low volume. i would suggest reading charlie francis's training system for ideas about it. the book is hosted on chris3g's file sharing. (see stickies).

put your speed day in heavy lifting day, preferably before lifting.

good luck!

7. Mike McDermott

Mike McDermott It's evolution, baby. OT Supporter

/thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.