how to hide cords?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by happyrobots, Nov 11, 2005.

1. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

So how do you do it? In the last few days I've heard a few people talking about it, but never saw a solutions, so what are some solutions?

Situation: Wire on the floor next to the wall, and when it's hanging from a wall mounted tv/speaker.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

I just hired and installer to run everything through the walls/floor for the 4 surround channels. It ran about $400... not cheap but it was worth it.

3. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

Yeah....any other options? I'm not rich yet, give me a few weeks.

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

You could do it yourself.:rolleyes: Its just a pain in the ass so it was worth it for me.

The other option, at least for speaker wire, is the "flat" stuff they have out now (example http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/flatwire-FLT.html). Adhere it to the wall and paint it to match. Not invisible, I've seen it done and it doesn't look bad.

5. happyrobots

happyrobots Ü

I know nothing about DIY, well I do but not for hiding the cords. I'm handy you could say, but I'm not sure about this. Any "DIY cord hiding" tuts out there?

6. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

The only way you can hide them is behind the wall. Really any other method that I am aware of will be noticeable.

7. Swoop411

Swoop411 New Member

actually you can do what I did in my old house....I ran the wires behind the baseboards to the corners, used some molding in the corners to hide the run to the ceiling, then installed crown molding to hide the runs along the ceiling. The molding looked nice and it hid 98% of the wire.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Hiding wires is easy especially speaker cable since its so small. All you need is a glow rod from home depot. Drill a small hole in the wall behind where you mount the speaker. Then drill a hole at the bottom of the wall right above the baseboard. Then push the glow rode down into the wall and pull it out of the bottom hole. Then use electrical tape to tape the speaker wire to the rod, then pull it through the wall. Repeat for all speakers.

9. johnson

johnson New Member

:doh:

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

I'm getting ready to do this. The wall runs are pretty easy as long as the wall is not insulated, it's the ceiling runs that suck (in my case, this is in a finished basement with drywall ceilings). So I'm cheating. I'm going to put the "ceiling" cable runs behind some crown molding.