how to handle this customers issue?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Apr 5, 2007.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Ive been in the detailing field for a long time, and havent had a problem. The problem today was a very slight one, but i have to talk to the customer about it. I was doing a full interior detail on a newer impala, which was filthy. When i told her about what it would cost, she said are you serious? She said this car was bad, and if i can keep the interior detail under 150 she would be happy.

I recieve the car today,and yes it was bad. Soda stains on the seats, hard crunchy stuff on the carpets such as milk, candy etc etc. Anyways, about 4 hours of work and the car looked brand new inside. The problem was that on the seat there was some type of candy substance/sticky substance that actually ate the material somehow and left a hole. The actual debris was dark/blended in with the seats so it looked like there was no hole there.I cleaned the area and the substance came out, but a hole about the size of a dime was left.

Customer bascially thinks i caused the hole,but the actual food substance was on top of the whole/filled in the hole and ate the material it must have been laying there for some time. Is this my fault do you guys think? What should i do?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Did you call her out to show her as soon as you noticed while cleaning the spot there was a hole?

How did you approach her after you noticed it?

3. quamen

quamen New Member

I was unable to contact the customer, since she was out with a friend. I didnt have a cell number just a home number. By time she picked up the car, i was in night school and i felt i got out to late to call a customer. She picked up the car at the shop were i detailed it. My buddy had the keys and gave the cusotmer the car back.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

You need to get a form that is a legal wavier. I dont consider myself a pro but a well seasoned amature that details for money and I dont touch a car without my waiver signed.

5. quamen

quamen New Member

and can u beleive it, this is one of the only times i didnt use it!! I usually always use them, but this was different. She dropeed the car off and was picked up, so i didnt get her to sign anything. Ill let you know how it goes with this.

6. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

you may have to pay an interior repair tech to perform a velour repair. about $100. better than buying a new seat though.

7. Paulie Walnuts

Forget that, give her the detail for free and call it even.

8. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

i'd try calmly explaining exactly what happened to her. chances are she's either sensible and will come round, after which point you might knock 20 bucks off as a goodwill gesture. if she's a bitch then take paulie's suggestion and send her on her way. don't offer to bargain with someone who's being unreasonable, just get rid of them.

remember that it's her own stupid fault anyway. you can't tell her that, just have it in the back of your mind that you've done nothing wrong, without being arrogant about it.

9. Ignited

Ignited Active Member

Offer a discount out of customer appreciation, but explain that the damage was there...send her on her way.

10. quamen

quamen New Member

thanks guys for the replies. I have been in the field a long time and i always take precautions, but with detailing anything can happen out of the blue. I still feel bad about it, but i kinda also believe it is her fault due to letting her kids spill soda and lay candy on the seat,but that is my job to clean it up.

11. Paulie Walnuts

Did you get this resolved?

12. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

if you're 100% sure that you didn't cause the damage, let her know that it was pre-existing and you had nothing to do with it. worse comes to worse, she'll take you to small claims court and you'll probably walk.

if you think you might have caused it (even a percentage), see if you can work out some sort of discount w/out admitting it was your fault.

don't admit fault or she could use it against you to make you replace the entire seat.

13. quamen

quamen New Member

she understood and didnt make a big deal about it at all.