How to get VNC set up correctly (port fowarding is not working)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quickone, Apr 23, 2010.

1. quickone

quickone New Member

I have VNC server and VNC on my Iphone. I can connect and control my PC just fine as long as my phone is connected VIA my own home network...but
    when I am off the network there is no connection...I followed all instructions and fowarded the correct ports in the router...but when I use a
    port checker...none of the ports are reachable and everything that would keep those ports in use has been disabled...I see in the router settings
    that NAT is enabled...is this something that needs to be disabled first? because I have an outside IP address that starts at 64.x.x.x when my router is 192.168.2.2...any help on how to get these ports fowarded would be appreciated,...oh and yes I have given the correct permissions in my windows firewall...Ihave also tried disabling the firewall.

I have a Belkin f5d8233-4v3 and just today got a Cisco Linksys WRT160N V.3 that I am using right now..I just put the DD-WRT firmware on it. I have tried fowarding ports with both routers.

I start a test on the IP from my PC with VNC server and this is the message I get...

Connection test failed.

VNC Server appears to be behind a NAT router with IP address xxx.xxx.xx.xxx. You will need to configure that router to forward port 5900 to this computer before you can connect to VNC Server over the Internet.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

VNC is meant to be used on a network. Not over the internet. Download Teamviwer. It is free and it should work fine.

3. quickone

quickone New Member

ahh ok..i got confused because they talked about configuring ports to use for over 3g as well...but any idea why even without vnc viewer...when I open those ports or any ports the port checker program says its unreachable? I close out vnc to be sure it's not using the port in question...even when I try opening random ports it never seems to show as being open.

I'm installing Teamviewer now to see if that works...also..is it possible to do WAKE ON LAN remotely using my phone? I have downloaded a few programs that do it..but not sure if it can be done over the 3g network or if that has to be done within the network.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. thekraft

thekraft New Member

In theory, it should work fine, regardless of whether it's on a 3g network or not, but I can't say, considering I never got that to work from the Internet.

5. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I'd just use the free version of logmein. If you want to pay for a years subscription I think you can get it for your phone. teamviewer is amazing but after a certain period of time of having it installed it stops working and if you just run the program it will only work for a limited amount of connections. I just all sorts of remote access software and would highly suggest you use either logmein or teamviewer but both will make you pay for it in some form or another.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

tightvnc has a webclient. i always change the port from 5900 to something less common

also, you can setup dyndns address so you can track your computer's public ip address unless it changes

or just use logmein, its simple to setup

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

vnc does work fine over the internet, you haven't configured the port correctly.

8. ge0

ge0 New Member

or setup vpn, vpn in then vnc

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

while this could be useful if you don't trust your VNC distro security, it is unnecessary

10. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

Dont be foolish, it works fine running indefinitely.

11. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

vnc works fine over the iphone on LAN and WAN.

you just need to set it up properly.

yes, as others have stated, there are better remote PC programs that are free and easier to setup, but VNC does work.

if you want more help with port forwarding, PM me or reply back in the thread.