how to get video off of jvc digital video to my vaio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ghostfacekilla, Oct 16, 2004.

1. ghostfacekilla

ghostfacekilla New Member

my roomate has a jvc digital camcorder... i have a sony vaio with vegas 5 movie making software.

do i have to download a driver to get it onto my computer or something?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Firewire? I'm sure the Vaio has a firewire port (they call it iPort or something meaningless like that)

3. ghostfacekilla

ghostfacekilla New Member

his camera has a usb cable, but when i plugged it in, my computer said "unrecognized harware" or something along those lines

4. jrwfz5

jrwfz5 New Member

I have a cannon zr65mc digital camcorder and I found the same problem as you before. The usb is to pull pictures off of the computer. you cant pull digital video off of it through usb. If your camcorder is digital than there should be a firewire port on it somewhere. Mine was hidden in the front below some plastic that seemed like i was going to break the fucking camera to get it off. But get a firewire card if your comp doesnt have it. Im not sure how much they are for a labtop but I found one for pc with a cord for 10 bucks. But if you are running xp, you dont need ne xtra drivers for it to be picked up. XP has all the nessisarry drivers already into the OS.

5. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I think you're wrong here. You can indeed pull video thru USB, but it's just slower than IEEE1394.

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Word... you need a firewire card and cable. The camera should have come with a cable I would think... my Sony did. The cards are dirt cheap on Ebay. Should be able to get a card and cable for $15 shipped easily.

7. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Viao's have firewire built in. Sony loves the firewire.

8. jrwfz5

jrwfz5 New Member

On my comp, you cannot even access the video thru usb. I know its slower, but you get the same error as ghost had. Firewire just fires right up w/ no xtra drivers or nething