SRS How to get over Misanthropic thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dunitlongpole, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dunitlongpole

dunitlongpole New Member

I obviously don't post here much, but I might as well start now...

Does anyone know any techniques to get over Misanthropic thoughts? It seems to be getting worse for me...

For example:

When I go out for a walk for exercise, I get angry. Now, this is in a large city, so it is quite crowded. But people walking really slow, people walking in my way, people who are morbidly obese eating cheeseburgers and other junk food, people begging for money on the street (and not even doing a good job of it anymore. In the past, people would at least make the effort to make a sigh that says "Out of work, please help" or something like that. Now, people just stand there in a place that is semi-blocking the sidewalk with a baseball cap turned upside down...), people who try and act so sophisticated and important, yet they drive a minivan, and kids (ages 10-18) who have really bad attitudes and are just ignorant...

What can I do to get rid of these kind of thoughts? I am a happy person when I am alone, but when I get put into these kind of situations, I just get angry, which in turn hurts overall productivity...

Any suggestions?

2. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

what's the point of that ? Do something about it or stop caring.

3. roddick

roddick New Member

I dont think he knows what to do or how to stop letting it bother him, that is the point. I have similar frustrations. When I am driving, my god, people irritate the fuck out of me. Road rage x10 lol. For this example, I will just say that what I have learned to do is just consciously block the thought. I try to focus on the music I am listening to or something like that to just push the negative thought out of my mind. It ususally works just fine. Once you get past that initial ping of something irritating you, it fades away (at least for me) and you can move on.

4. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It's important to understand that the more frustrated and angry you get about how other people conduct their lives, the more like them you will become. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's what happens. Now I don't mean this to say that anger is a negative thing. It's cumulative anger that you don't resolve that becomes poisonous.

It's important to take personal responsibility for your own imperfections rather than pointing the finger or "thinking constantly" about other people's short comings. If you focus on what you can't control, you will begin to lose control gradually over the things you can control. You'll begin to neglect the things you have direct influence over and the things you can change.

The serenity prayer hits this point perfectly.

Please grant me the serenity, to accept the things I can not change. The courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

The difference? Focusing on changing what you can, and accepting that which you can't. By asking this question and asking for help, you've begun that process.

5. Victoriono

Victoriono New Member

You don't sound like a very happy person, maybe work on that.

6. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

It's all about perception man. Work on changing yours. Decide what matters. In regards to what you're letting yourself be bothered by - trust me, this stuff doesn't matter.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Maybe you should do what all the cool kids do and listen to your iPod while you exercise. Reinforce the boundaries of your personal space.