SRS How to get friend to stop bragging about his friendships

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by advertisingguru, Dec 2, 2009.

1. advertisingguru

advertisingguru New Member

I have a group of friends - we are all very close and talk everyday. I've known them all for years. One of my friends in the group is really secretive for some reason though. He talks about all these other friends that he has - but never says their names and they never show up for his birthdays and other important events.

Considering I talk to him very often I find it weird that he says "I met my friend for coffee today" without offering up the person's name. Obviously I don't need to know all his business but with all of my other friends we have a much better sense of each other's friends/relatives etc. Also in the many years that I've known this friend I've never met any other friends of his. I only know of him hanging out with the group of friends I also hang out with.

I'm thinking he's making this all up. He pretends like he has so many close friends but if so I'm sure I'd have met them some way or another. I believe he is trying to pass off acquaintances as real friends. How do I tell him to knock it off? It gets annoying to hear him talk about this stuff when the validity of it is questionable. Besides this though he is a good friend.

2. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Maybe they're "invisible" friends? :rofl:

3. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I knew someone who did the same thing. Finally I asked why he did it and he responded, "I say 'my friend' because you don't know them".

So I asked him to say their name anyway - turned out a knew a bunch of them.

4. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

My question to you is....Why do you care?

Why do you care if he says "I had coffee with a friend today" and then you say "oh, what friend" and he says "a friend..you don't them"

Why not leave it at that? Why do you care who he is hanging out with?? Why do you care if he is making it up????

:ugh:

5. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

my thoughts as well. why does it matter?

6. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

Because the friend is acting like a retard. If I was the TS I would be curious about this too.

7. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

But WHY DO YOU CARE???

What does it matter if he is hanging out with other people??? Are you jealous about it??

Sounds to me TS is just being nosy. Who cares who he is hanging out with!

Matter of fact, TS should be happy that his friend is hanging around other people.

8. advertisingguru

advertisingguru New Member

Well I talk to him almost every day (have for about 5 years) so I expect that these details just come out naturally. I know when I hang out with other people I qualify who they are. E.g. suppose I am friends with a guy named Peter. Instead of saying "My friend invited me to a movie" I would just throw out the name. That way if I mention the name Peter again he sort of has an idea of who this person is me. Especially if it's a person I regularly hang out. If it's just one of my many co-workers (or neighbors) I randomly mention then I may not say the name.

Of course it's fine that he has other friends but it's weird that I've never seen them or heard of their names. I hang out with him almost every weekend. If I'm not hanging out with him then I'm going out with other friends. I'll say their names and I don't have a problem with him meeting them.

9. schmitty101

schmitty101 You might remember me from such films as "Dig your

I knew someone for a while that also did this. Some people just try to hide the fact that your their only friend. He MAY have some other friends, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had none.

I myself have done this too. I take some activity that I did with an acquaintance and when I'm talking to someone, I tell them I did it with one of my "friends", even though the guy wasn't really a friend.

10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I do this very often to be honest. The only reason my "local" friends do not meet the friends I talk about is because they live 400 miles away and I only really see them when I go back to my home town or when they are passing through my area.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I agree with most of the people here. It's not your problem. Maybe he doesn't feel like telling you their names because it's not relevant (my coworkers have never met any of my friends, for instance), or maybe he's exaggerating how many friends he has because he feels lonely. Or maybe it's something else. Either way, stop feeling insecure about your own social network and you'll stop giving a shit about his.