How to get digital camcorder footage to computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tweekend, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

Hi, I got a Canon ZR70MC camcorder and I need to know how to get the tape footage onto the computer. Is there software I need to buy? I know how to get pictures and mini-video clips but I need the tape not the card. also, my computer isn't very fast (400 mhz) So I don't need a real huge program, the simpler and easier to use the better.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The camera's manual doesn't tell you how?
    My guess is that there should have been some software that it came with that can do this and uses the firewire port.

If all else fails, then a video capture card and use the A/V out ports on the camera to the computer's video capture card and sound card to capture it all.
    I believe Windows MovieMaker2 should be able to help you out with both the A/V and firewire captures...I've never tried or read the help on it to know for sure.

3. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

Thanks, no I looked the guide over and found nothing. I'm not sure if my computer has the firewire thing, it has the USB ports though, is that the same thing? Anyone else have experience with the Canon ZR line?

4. Brian

Brian New Member

ouchy not good comp, at all, you will have a hard time playing the videos on that computer, also if u wanna edit that video and put on cd/dvds it will be painfull,

i got a 2.8 ghz with 1g memory and my video editing rendering is slow as crap

if u still wanna try just get a rca, usb or pci if u know how to install it, for like 10-15 on ebay

or your digital camcorder probaly has a usb or firewire cable , and just plug that into your computer and use a free or cheap video captureing program

5. Tweekend

Tweekend New Member

Where can I download a video capturing program?

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.