how to get apple store to replace my headphones/cable under apple-care

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by brolli, Feb 9, 2010.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

so I have a pair of headphones that are coming apart, as well as the dock cable that I brought to the apple store to see if they could replace them. My iphone is still under apple-care for another 4 months. I explained to them, that the headphones got like that after wrapping it around the phone for a while. They examined them for a bit, and told me that it wasn't a manufacturer's error, but caused because of mis-use and could not be replaced.

Anyone else run into this problem? I feel like I should be getting both of these parts replaced especially under apple-care...

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I too am tired of having those Apple dock cables come apart. I don't like the new thin connector. I'm thinking of getting one of these by CableJive.

[​IMG]

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Sounds like it's your fault for wrapping them around the phone too tight. Suck it up and buy some new ones and in the future, don't wrap them so tight.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you really want to go through the hassle of replacing ipod headphones?

just buy some decent headphones instead.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

:werd:

ipod headphones are the worst things ever... i only keep them for backup purposes in my travel bag in case i good ones break or get lost...

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I have purchased an iPod Video, iPod Nano & an iPhone and have yet to have any of them come apart, fray, or work unlike they were supposed to.

Plus, they're $15 at most...replace them or just get some better headphones.

As for the dock connector, do the same. And start taking care of your stuff better.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: The only thing cable wise from Apple that I hate are the magsafe connectors. They pull out way TOO easily if something gets tugged on even the slightest bit, at least that's the case with my macbook. Needs a slightly stronger magnet IMHO.

8. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

you do realize it is designed like that. you would want a stronger magnet, so when something pulls or tugs on your power wire, your laptop flies along with it?

:ugh:

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying just enough stronger that it doesn't come out from barely touching it.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

There's a little plastic thing that plugs into the USB port and makes it so that the MagSafe can only pull straight out. Don't recall what it's called. Runs like $12 if I remember right. Still, the current magnet is fine for me. Any stronger and it could pull the thing off the couch.

11. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

Seriously. I don't know how many times someone has tripped over my power cord and it just fell off the laptop without pulling it down with it.

12. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

$20 for a 3ft cable :hsugh:

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

if it keeps me from buying replacement cables every so often, why not? :dunno:

My Kenwood iPod interface cable is much sturdier and I've had that for about 5 yrs now with no problems. Sometimes it's worth spending more money for better quality. And no, I'm not saying Monster cables are worth the money, they are a total ripoff.