How to get a job in motorsports?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by FKY326, Mar 20, 2007.

1. FKY326

FKY326 New Member

I guess this is the correct forum for this... i'm working on my logistics and int business degree right now and i'd ultimatly like to end up working for a major motorsports team. Would like to do motorcycle racing, but pretty much anything but nascrap would be awesome to work in. AMA, FIM, Moto GP, basicly any level of motorcycle racing, Rally, and open wheel racers interest me the most and are what i know the most about

i've been doing some research on it, but i can't seem to find out how to even get a foot in the door or even where to look.

does anyone have any info about this sorta thing?

i remember following a thread on some socal forum where a guy names Liam went to europe with the goal to be a Moto GP mechanic, but it seemed like he had some sorta contacts since he was working with a smaller series when he first got there then met some racers and dorna people who eventually got him on to a team. (story at www.motoliam.com)

2. noxxs

noxxs New Member

i just sort of fell into it. the guy i was working for decieded that he wanted to get back into racing and bought a car ford was building specially for a series. as far as how everyone else gets into it? it seems like they were just mechanics who are either volunteering for friend who is trying to race cheap, or they were working for a dealership that owned a team.

i'm going to have a degree in mech. engineering in a couple of months and i'm honestly not sure if i'd want to stay with racing. its a shitload of travel and work. i've had over 100hour weeks on weeks that there is a race. pretty much you work your ass off to get the car, spare parts, and equipment ready and packed, then you drive however many hours to the track, unpack it all, prep the car some more, race, fix and tune whatever is wrong, and then the race is the easiest part. you just sit there and change a couple of tires every hour or so.

i don't mean to be discouraging but i know a guy who has been doing this for 18 or so years, and he's in NC looking for a job right now and can't find anything.

i'd say your best bet would be to go and work for somebody who is a parts supplier for racing teams, get to know some of the teams, or at least some of the important guys on the teams. try and get to rep your company at the track on race weekends and get to know the teams even better and see if you can even help out. once you know a team, start volunteering to be an extra man if they need it and work your way from there. most teams aren't going to trust any guy standing around the track, thats why you should probably be affiliated with someone.

i hope this helps and isnt too long. good luck

3. twin_turborx7

twin_turborx7 Sponsor: DeeperImage.com

Put a post on www.sccaproracing.com discussion board on the driver/help wanted area. A lot of teams looking there..

4. twin_turborx7

Also racingjunk.com has a crew/mechanic area.

5. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

for some reason i dont think hes looking at being a mechanic. i think hes thinking more along the lines of an entry executive level position

6. twin_turborx7

O. I thought foot in the door and the example he gave of his friend was up that alley. At any rate those same sites advertise for planning people, event coordinators, engineers, chassis people, truck drivers/crew etc.