GUN How to gauge when one is ready for a CCL?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, May 30, 2007.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

What are some ways to judge whether a person has the right mentality and mindset to carry a concealed weapon? I am 21, and I ran the idea of carrying by my father who immediately threw back the obligatory "Why do you need it?" and "You are asking for trouble." I believe that I am of the right mindset, but I am looking to those here who have much more experience and are much wiser in this area than I for some answers.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Do you have any rage or anger problems? Do you provoke people, get into fights, drink or use drugs til you lose control? If you get into an arguement with someone will you escalate the situation or try to cool it off? If someone cuts you off in traffic do you flip them the finger and ride their bumper or do you just brush it off? Do you understand that the gun is not a tool for intimidation or minor threats? Do you understand that the gun is a last ditch tool only to be used when you have no other options left and your life is in danger? Do you understand that if you use your gun you might be arrested, even if it was justified? Do you understand that you might face a murder trial if you shoot someone and the evidence that it was your last and only option is unclear? Do you understand that most people experience some emotional problems from taking a life even if it was justified? If you're a responsible adult you're good to go. If you have problems with any of those things you might reconsider.

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I would take a good CCW class, even if you're not sure you're going to be carrying. They will run you through how much trouble is involved with even a justified use of your weapon, and will help you decide if you REALLY want the responsibilty of carrying.

I remember thinking: "My god I hope I never have to shoot anyone" after taking my CCW class (I already didn't want to shoot anyone, but this class really drove the point home).

Soy covered the rest of it. It is really a LAST RESORT weapon - you use it when you are fearing for your life and that is the ONLY time it should clear leather with the intent to use it.

4. Ghostrider4450

Just from being here in WMD I believe I have picked all those things up. After taking Systema for a few years, I am now very calm/humble when it comes to confrontations. My instructor always told me that removing yourself from a bad situation by having a high level of situational awareness, should always be your first action. I believe that applies to concealed carry as well, and that using it should never be first on your list of actions.

Another thing I am curious about is what you tell your friends. I have no desire to tell or share with my friends my intention/eventual act of carrying. My instructor said that bragging about your abilities (hand to hand combat/knife fighting) is a bad idea because if you ever get into a altercation and your buddies are there, they might talk more shit and escalate the situation because they know you posses skills that could be potentially deadly. Their (false) sense of security can get you in trouble or worse, killed because you are choosing to de-escalate while they stir shit up. I think the same applies to CCW, in that its about 10x worse to have a friend with a poor mindset regarding a concealed weapon.

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

when is one ready for the license? when you turn of legal age.

better to have one already for when you want to carry than not have one and not be able to.

6. Ghostrider4450

Thats exactly my thinking. I have already sent for the application, signed up for the required 100rnd handgun competency test and talked to a sheriff about the electronic fingerprint scanning so i can get my CCL before I leave for Montana in 3 months.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well I'm usually the loudmouth libertarian friend so most of mine know how I feel about things like that to start with. Most of them know I have a carry license. By being a big loud mouth about things like that a couple of them now have them as well. In general though caution is probably a good idea. I've heard more stories that involve a friend mentioning that someone has a gun in completely inappropriate public situations than I can remember....movie theaters, check out lines, etc.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Only my closest friends and family know (and a lot of family probably doesn't). The guys on here know too, but I didn't expect to be hanging out with people from OT :hs:

9. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

the sig i have for sale on here would do wonderfully in the competency test...

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

man... that's STILL for sale? I may have to take it off your hands...

11. Ghostrider4450

:coolugh:Link?

12. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

still is. got a couple of bites on it but nobody hooked. too many people trying to lowball me or wanting to buy stuff seperately. i mean, what am i going to do with 4 mags, a barrel and a holster for a gun i don't even own? :rofl:

13. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

14. Ghostrider4450

15. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i posted a reply to your post to bump the thread that was just bumped by you and i.

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

It's wierd. I know some people who are perfectly ok with people owning rifles, handguns, shotguns, etc. But the instant you mention CCW to them, they freak out as if it will suddenly turn people into monsters (hoss, you know who I am talking about :o)

personally. I think that if you already are a person who is safe and responsible (from OTHER people's points of view), around firearms, then you are pretty much ready, except that you should def take a class just to fully prepare you for what CCWing means legally, morally, etc. :dunno:

(if it's incoherent, sorry, its been a long 9 hour day at work :hs:) (money for the guns/car, but work ftl)

17. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If you're willing to fight back when someone is trying to kill you, you should get it.

And you need to sit down and really think about what that means, not fill yourself up with self-deceiving bravado, because you need to program your brain for this, even if you've already been in the situation:

Are you willing to act when acting means you could die?

As for your dad, you have to handle that carefully, as my advice would be a little abrasive. 1,000 years ago, saying you'd grab a stick or pitchfork, etc to defend your family was acceptable. Today, there is a fair enough chance the threat to your family will be carrying a gun, so if you want to man up and keep your family safe, you have to have the nerve to meet force with force. There is a 99.89999% chance the police will NOT be there in time to prevent someone from getting hurt or killed, saying you will call the police is, to borrow the analogy of the spare car tire, like saying that you have a flat, and you've jacked the car up, so now your work is done. You've still got to do the dirty part of the job.

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

my dad? :o

19. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

didn't want to say it, but yah :o

20. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

that's about $1200 worth of shit when purchased new, i'm not going to drop it down to $550. if you don't want to buy it, that's your prerogative.

21. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

i'm not really needing to sell, just selling because i haven't gone to the range in a year. if someone gives me my asking price, awesome. if they don't, it doesn't bother me that much.