How to fix the svchost.exe memory drain problem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by parker, Nov 13, 2004.

1. parker

parker Guest

I'm not sure if this needs much explanation because it seems to be a pretty common problem. Basically I have some sort of virus or something or other that causes svchost.exe [System] to take up all my memory, so my computer is constantly at 100% and obviously running very, very slowly.
    I've run up to date spyware adaware norton etc etc but nothing seems to fix it. I'm running Sygate Personal Firewall as well. I've even read of people formatting and having the same problem straight away.

So basically I'm asking: does anyone know how to fix the svchost.exe problem?

Cheers

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

I got a few lousy solutions for you...

1. constantly reboot the machine.

2. reinstall XP and be careful from now on

3. install Linux/BSD

4. Buy Apple

Personally I got 5 computers... (1 server, 1 router, 1 software development workstation, 1 audio workstation, and 1 dedicated file download gateway)

If you know what you are doing, you will be fine, my workstation NEVER got owned. nor did my file download gateway (runs all kinda garbage), and my core router.

The server did got owned once, but that's because I never admin that machine, and never cared. No outbound connection allowed in the DMZ anyways...

3. parker

parker Guest

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I don't really have the time or resources to do 2-5, and 1 didn't fix it.

Are you talking abou the Korean DMZ by any chance?

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Hey, you stole my suggestion :mamoru:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

eventually all the :greddy: people will realize that linux is not the be-all end-all answer to every question... Unless the question is "what's not always the right answer?"

anyway, </end sarcasm>.

it's a virus. Plain and simple. Anyone that got it right after a frersh format got it because they connected their unprotected (freshly-formated) machine to a network where the virus already existed, and thus spread. It doesn't take more than a packet to get infected... so as soon as you pull an IP address, bam, you're gonna get hit with it.

Norton = ghey, btw.... try a real antivirus instead. I'll recommend AVG, although there's others, as well.

6. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Well barring installing linux/bsd, which you should look into doing anyways.

Using Pro, which if you're not doing slap yourself and format, go into your services controll section and start pruning what services you don't need running the entire time.

Type from a command prompt
    tasklist /svc
    to find out what you're running