How to fix a corrupted registry?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vintel, May 17, 2006.

1. vintel

vintel New Member

Upon start up I get this message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I printed out a bunch of shit from Dell's website. That is pretty much my only option besides bringing it somewhere. Normally I would just format my HD but there is a lot of shit on there that I need.

Any suggestions? And keep in mind, I am not very computer savvy.

Thanks.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

3. vintel

vintel New Member

I'm confused. That article talks about OEM installed Windows, and to not use the procedure in the article. Does OEM mean the exact installation of Windows that came from the factory? I have reinstalled XP 2 or 3 times since then if that makes a difference.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

you should use the xp disk that you used to install xp, and boot to the recovery console using that then follow the instructions

5. vintel

vintel New Member

Alright, thanks. And I won't lose any data?

6. 7960

7960 New Member

won't? :ugh:

........shouldn't :hsd:

I've done this 3 times on different PCs and never lost data. Any time you do something with the registry there's the potential to lose data. If you have a way of backing up the data, do it. If you have another PC, put the drive in it as a slave and copy all the data from it before you start...that way you at least won't lose your data. I didn't when I did this, but that wasn't the brightest thing to do.

7. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I guess it depends on your definition of data. I could delete your registry or your whole Windows folder and you wouldn't lose anything I consider data (Word docs, email, pictures, etc).

8. 7960

7960 New Member

I was including his OS and installed programs. Of course the data wouldn't be gone...I even suggested he hang it off a working system to get the data off.

9. vintel

vintel New Member

Well I gave it a shot last night............no good. As soon as I typed in the first line, I get an error message saying, the file cannot be copied. Now what?

10. 7960

7960 New Member

you are 100% sure you typed in the correct path? Not the one in the instructions but the one where your registry is?

it's possible that is not where your registry is (depending on how you did your install)

go back to recovery console and see if you can cd all the way to the location the instructions are telling you. See if that's the actual path. I'm guessing it's not and that using the correct path will make it work.

11. JaJae

JaJae New Member

If you must have your data for the cheapest cost you should just buy the cheapest harddrive you can find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148051

Or go to a computer show or whatever... Get something large enough to store windows and whatever data you need to keep.

Install windows on that OS and copy your files over (after making your primary a slave). Then format your old drive and install windows on there and copy it all back.

Now is a good time to upgrade and make your current harddrive a backup storage drive if you're willing to put out a little extra money. Harddrives are cheap, I'd recommend buying a nice Seagate SATA(if you have) harddrive for around $100 and using that as your primary and use the old as a strictly backup drive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148111 ---- SATA
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148100 ---- IDE

12. vintel

vintel New Member

What other path could it be, if Windows is installed on my C drive, which I know it is? What do you mean, cd all the way to the location? Like I said, I am clueless when it comes to computers.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

from the instructions

Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

go to the recovery console again (command line) and type

cd\
    to get you back to the root, then

cd windows
    to get you to windows directory, then

cd system32
    then

cd config

my guess is you're going to get stuck on the "cd windows" one. Different manufacturers sometimes install to a different directory. Give that a try and let me know if you can't cd to one of those directories.

windows\system32\config\