A&P How to film wildlife?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mandarin orange, Feb 15, 2006.

1. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

I recently got a Canon 300D. I've been messing around and have mostly been taking pictures of well objects and still life. But today I was in my kitchen and I was trying to take pictures of my dogs.. but a lot of the pictures were coming out blurry. I was setting the aperature as big as possible f/4.5-5.6? but I had to leave the shutter open longer I guess cause there might have not been enough light in the kitchen. Tomorrow I want to go to the zoo and try to mess around and take some pictures. What type of camera settings are good for 'wildlife'. i currently only have 2 lenses.. the kit lens ef 18-55mm and the ef 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM lens. I'm guessing the 55-200mm would be more ideal for using at the zoo.. and plus I heard the kit lens isnt even that great. Can you all give me some tips and stuff on shooting wildlife? Thanks!

2. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

assuming there is sunlight, and the animals arent moving too fast, keep the shutter speed atleast faster 1/125...aperture will depend on how much light you have and if you want shallow or great depth of field

3. mandarin orange

so anything under around 125 will make the animal movement blurry? im not gonna film like an animal like sprinting.. just maybe like a lion lying down and his head is moving or something

4. 00soul

slower than 1/125 can possibly cause a blur...but if you have enough light might as well go as fast as possible...unless you want blur for an effect or something

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Yep, definately keep shutter 1/125 or even faster, in daylight that wont be a problem, indoors it might. Remember that its not only animal movement your stopping, but also any hand shake etc.

If photos are comming out too dark set the ISO higher (this is the cmos' sensitivity to light, try not to go too high as the picture will become grainy), or for indoors you might need invest in a speedlite flash..

Obviously for subjects that arent moving (landscape, etc) combat this problem with a tripod.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Also maybe read an article about how the camera works and how things like the aperture / shutter / ISO affect the picture to better understand what the side effects of either setting are. Maybe howstuffworks.com? never checked that.

Then you might decide to buy an F2.8 lens, speedlite, or tripod etc to better suit what you are trying to photograpy.

7. mandarin orange

i see.. you said the aperature was depth of field.. does that have anything to do with the shutter speed? like if i want a pic of a tiger AND the background all in focus.. what should my aperature be? and if I want a pic of the tiger's face and the background blurry.. what should my aperatuer be? Thanks!

8. 00soul

wide aperture (lower numbers)for shallow DOF (small focus...foreground/background blurry)

small aperture (high numbers) for great DOF (everything in focus).

tiger + background all in focus .. i would go with a f8 or f11. your cameras built in exposure meter should tell you how fast of a shutter you'll be able to use

9. 00soul

read jcolman's sticky...plenty of good information

10. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

i like to use a 50mm lens with a reversed 50mm in front, using a coupler of course...

then i foot zoom my way in

11. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

penis for a distance scale?

12. ( * )( * )

( * )( * ) OT Supporter

Dont forget the extension tubes. Too much DOF :bowdown:

13. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Once you learn the basics (it can be confusing at first), use some of the modes on the camera. In this case, use TV mode. Set the speed you want (ie 1/125) and the camera will decide the aperature based upon the available lighting. I use this mode when I shoot indoors at car shows with decent lighting, I know I can get good shots using 1/40 shutter speed & ISO 400 with my Tamron at a 28mm focal length, so I set the shutter speed to 1/40 and the camera decides what aperature to shoot. Two examples below to help visualize the explanation:

#1 Decent amount of lighting, 1/40 shutter speed, ISO 400. Camera decides to shoot at f/2.8. (Girl in blue decided to stand for forever... I got sick of waiting and took the shot :greddy:)
    [​IMG]

#2 Right behind the ugly green thing was this red SCCA Volvo. The camera decides to shoot at f/3.5
    [​IMG]

I use to shoot in Manual all the time but I've grown to use aperature and shutter priority more often since it's a little bit quicker than making adjustments to both shutter and aperature. At the car shows, there's constantly people walking in front of you so being quick to get a shot in when it's clear is helpful.

Try this site to learn a bit more about the Canon DSLRs:
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

To answer your original post - to shoot wildlife, it can get expensive to invest in the good lenses to get the professional type shots (fast lense, lots of zoom $$$$$$$$$$$$). In a zoo, you won't need as much zoom as you would in the safari, though. Before dumping a bunch of $$ into better lenses, practice with the kit lense first.

14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

love the volvo. :big grin:

15. Derrict

Which one, they're both Volvos :wiggle:

16. mojito

mojito New Member

My wildlife pics for the week. you can view the exif info for shooting comditions

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mojito

mojito New Member

Once you get the basics down you can try changing perspective or more unique shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Great shots! thats some nasty flare though.

19. your wildlife pics look good but they would look 100% better in the summer time.

20. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

21. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

:coolugh:

22. mojito

mojito New Member

Asland

[​IMG]

23. Derrict

[​IMG]