how to feel more awake

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by disblohs, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

shit i'm tired. i had an intense workout yesterday and i only got about 6-6.5 hours of sleep and i'm drained. i've already had a liter of diet pepsi this morning and it hasn't helped at all. what can i do to wake up some without getting caffeine pills or something like that?

2. disblohs

oh yeah, i'm also at work with nothing to do. going back to sleep is not an option.

3. jonno

jonno New Member

coffee?

4. disblohs

i've never been much of a coffee drinker, but i'll give it a shot. caffeine itself never seems to help. i think i'm becoming immune to it because of how much pop i drink.

5. VSM Si

VSM Si 3 putt

im like you, but im sure in order to regian your strenght after your excercises you DO need a solid 8+ hours of sleep :hs:

6. jonno

jonno New Member

pop has very little C in it. give coffee a try if you can't get a C pill

7. Brujo

Brujo New Member

an apple

i remember reading somewhere that its better than a cup of coffee in the morning. I don't know how, but I remember reading it somewhere. could'nt hurt.

EDIT: Fact #155 from askmen.com

8. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

I would stop drinking the caffeine. I was always dead tired until I had my espresso then it would give me a little boost but as time went on I needed more and more and it was less effective. The type of food and amount you eat can also really help, eat crappy and your tired, don’t eat enough and you feel just as tired. On top of cutting out the caffeine and eating decent food, take a multi vitamin every day and get enough sleep. Sleep is kind of specific for every person. I know for myself it is exactly 8 hours, if I sleep 7 hours I’ll feel the same as if I slept 5. The extra hours makes all of the difference. Doing all of that stuff made a night and day difference with me.

9. disblohs

well, the coffee is brewing right now. hopefully that helps a bit. yesterday i ate pretty clean with some natty pb sandwiches and a lot of chicken, etc. however, i think not getting 8 hours killed me. i do this way too frequently. on monday and wednesdays i don't get home from work, school, and the gym until 8. by that time i want to sit around or hang out with my friends for a few hours. i generally don't go to sleep until 11:30 or 12:00. plus, i've had to wake up at 5:45 the last 2 days because we have to start work at 7:00 this week rather than 7:30.

10. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

Why are you even asking why your tired? You already know. The coffee wont do anything expect mask the problem. You may feel awake but you wont have the energy later in the day to work out.

If your going to bed at midnight and starting work at 7:30, what's your average amount of sleep, 5 and a half hours (getting up to shower, eat, make food for later). If you can make gains sleeping like that then props to you but it would kill me.

11. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

eat an apple
    get more sleep
    up your iron intake

12. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Smoke rocks.

Is going to bed earlier an option?

13. disblohs

it's an option, but not one i'd like to consider. like i said above, after getting home from work, school, and the gym i feel like going out and doing something. i usually go to bed around 12 because that gives me about 3-3.5 hours to sit around or go somewhere.

i'm still making gains while not getting enough sleep, but probably not as much as i could be.

i also think the fact that i do NOTHING at my job contributes to my ability to stay awake. they just gave me something to do and i was much more awake while doing it. it's just so damn boring when i have nothing to do that i have trouble keeping my eyes open

14. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Well unless you want to feel like shit all the time you'll have to make some sacrifices.

I've been in your boat before (mostly during the schoolyear) and I just hate feeling like ass all day, yet I still go out at night and go to bed late/get up early. It's a vicious cycle.

15. disblohs

:werd: the shitty thing is that i say i'm going to make up for it on the weekend and then i end up staying out until 4 and waking up at 11 or 12. i don't really catch up at all. i've been trying to take naps occasionally to make up for the lack of sleep.

16. KingLouis

KingLouis Al Capone with a badge

What is your job?

I know I need at least 8-9 hours of sleep to be fully functional for the day.

17. disblohs

i assist a secretary :hsugh:

that's kind of what i do i guess. i make up time sheets, compare time sheets and dailies, help with putting together an invoice for the month, write up maintenance sheets for equipment. the main thing i was hired for this summer hasn't panned out yet so i'm pretty much the guy that little shit is delegated to. they'll give me stuff to do that takes 10 minutes at a time and then i have to wait several hours to get 10 minutes more worth of work. the shitty thing is, this makes the day go by horrendously slow. also, i like working. i'd much rather them give me things to do than just sit here all day.

18. Drewski

Drewski New Member

speed, ecsatcy or crystal meth all work great :bigthumb:

19. disblohs

well, i am close to detroit....:mamoru:

20. KingLouis

KingLouis Al Capone with a badge

That does sound painful. But look at it this way, some poor bastard out there is working non-stop and staying behind trying to finish some project. :hs:

Sleep is important though - read the sleep/consciousness section of any broad psychology textbook and you'll realise the bad effects it will have on your body. You should really consider going to bed earlier or rather more often so it's easier on your body? As opposed to going out every night, go out half as much?

21. disblohs

maybe i'll attempt to stay home for the night on mondays and wednesdays. those are the days where i'm busy the entire day and also the days i hit the gym. it's easier to go to sleep early any day of the week but those two just because i have more time to myself.

22. Drewski

Drewski New Member

try going to the gym before work. Its tough, at least for me, but I always find myself a lot more energetic at work the days I go to the gym early.

23. disblohs

not really an option. my mom started going with me at the beginning of the summer and i don't think she'd want to go that early. of course, neither would i. i'm not sure i'd be able to perform for shit so early in the morning.

24. joed1228

joed1228 New Member

If you eat a good meal and wait 30 minutes it'll be as effective or more than working out later in the day.

25. disblohs

there's really no chance of me getting up at 4 to eat, wait 30 minutes, be working out at 4:30...leaving the gym around 6:00 and taking a shower followed by heading to work. plus, i'm not even sure they're open until 5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.