how to fbodys "feel"

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by uf20wop, Jan 7, 2005.

1. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

how do fbodys "feel"

i really want an fbody, but how does it feel when driving... i.e. does it feel heavy and boatish... or does it feel somewhat nimble

i dont think id like driving a car that feels heavy

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  2. nianguaus

nianguaus Guest

What generation?

3. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

I love my 3rd gen Camaro, it is an auto, but it is SO fucking fun to drive. What are you driving now?

4. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

98-2002

the ls1s :o

5. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

right now i drive a 96 se-r :mamoru:

6. 91RS

I like 2nd and 3rd gens better than the 4th visual wise, but they handle great. You'll enjoy one, especially after driving that Nissan.

7. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

:werd: i figure anything is better than a sentra :o

edit: especially on blown shocks :rofl:

8. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

on a stock suspension they are pretty sharp handling. The one thing you will not like at first is the big feel of the car, and I meen by it's actual demensions. It doesn't handle or act like a big or heavy car, but your perseption based on visability would lead you to believe other wise. You will quickly get used to it though, and once you learn the car, you'll be able to make that thing take courners like youre on rails.

9. Moonwalker

Moonwalker fagulous

i have a 99 TA.. its fun as hell, but definitely boatish. The doors are the worst part, they are long as hell and must weigh 500 pounds :p

10. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

do your research on the car you decide on, i and three other people i know have been burned on 4th gens

11. 91RS

Oh yes, check the car well. When I was shopping, some of the cars were just awful for the asking price. I may have paid a little to much for my Camaro, but I got a very well taken care of vehicle. The interior is in VERY good shape for it being 14 years, the paint job is good, the engine doesn't burn or leak oil, the engine compartment is extreamly clean, a very nice tint job (no peeling or bubbling), and a flowmast exhaust with dual chrome tips. But in the long run the price I paid will even out because it will be less likley to need major repair. So my advice would be to shop around and thoroughly look at the car and drive it around in the quiet (no radio, no talking) so you can hear if it's making sounds that it shouldn't be. If the seller rides with you on the test drive and wants to talk the entire time, then he/she is probably trying to cover something up, so move on from that car and find something else. Also, when you are looking at the car, don't act like you are overimpressed, then the seller will not be as willing to go lower on the price. Just a few tips for you and anyone else shopping for used vehicles.

12. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I looked at them, they drive great, but that nose is really hard to see and would take some getting used to.

13. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

I love 4th gen F-Bodies, but to me they feel like driving a boat. I'm used to fox body mustangs though so i'm a little biased.

14. candidate zero

candidate zero New Member

You get used to not seing the nose of the car.

15. 91RS

It won't take you long to get used to it, it didn't take me very long.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  16. bigshoe

bigshoe I'd rather shovel shit than study

I'm going to try and answer this, I have a 98 ws6, and i modded most of my suspension. I used to autocross regularly, and i'm attaching some video runs if that gives you any idea of how fbodies "feel" i searched for incar video, but i dont have the best of that, if anyone shows interest, i can try posting some of the incar videos i have.

http://s15.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=082KYIKI4MYQE2JZ0EIQBSG5AM

anyways, i've changed shocks/springs/front swaybar/torque arm/rear control arms/front upper control arms/motor and tranny mounts/ and use nitto 555R2 tires, i'm probably leaving some mods out, but those are the important ones at least. At first the car did feel a bit floaty for me from a sports car persective, but not at all for any car on the road. Lowering it with the prokit and using revalved bilstein shocks possibly made the biggest difference next to the tires, and after lowering it i dont get that much body roll, and the spring rates i'm using arent that much stiffer than my stock 1LE springs, the 35mm front swaybar is alot more effective than stock though.

for being full weight at 3500lbs, the car is pretty nimble and offers pretty good grip with these tires (i have the 17x9 ws6 wheels).

anyways, i guess i'm rambling on, its better than average as far as feel, some may think the steering wheel is "dumb" and has a small deadspot in the center, i agree, but its not that bad. Again, best mods (besides power) I would list as the following:

1. Tires
    2. Shocks/springs
    3. Front swaybar

it happens to be that this is the order of highest to lowest price also.

17. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

4th gens = boat
    3rd gens = nimble, helps with a few easy upgrades too

18. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

uh, no! The 4th gen's front suspension is far superior to the 3rd gens, even in stock form.

19. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

I love my 97, so much That I'm going to buy another one.

20. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

The only bad thing is that its hard to find an F-Body nowadays that HASN'T been violated or ragged on or raped. Too many people with the mentality to mod em up and then part them out when they can't make the payments. Stock though, if you can find a low mileage one that hadnt been ragged on, then you will love the handling of the car. Just awesome.

21. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

The best part about my 02 LS1 ,
    is I have spent approx $2500 in mods,

I can beat just about anything I run into in day to day driving, Its rare that I run across something faster that is also a daily driver
    12.20's @118 on bottle

22. 87Z

87Z OT Supporter

I have an 87 and my dad has a 01, and the 4th gen feels alot bigger to me. I like the feel of mine alot more, but that may just be because Im used to it :dunno:

23. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

whoever said the best mods...

subframe connectors are by far THE ABSOLUTE BEST and very FIRST mod anyone should ever do to an F-Body, then panhard/LCA's, shocks/struts, and then wheels/tires, depending, and then torquearm/crossmember pieces... then the rest of the suspension you haven't touched yet :o

having said that, I loved the feel of my 83Z better than I like that of the 4thgen, but that's more because I had a better steering box, for one...
    3rdgens turn much sharper corners than 4thgens do, thats my one major gripe with them.

kind of weird that a 150k mile 83 Z28 still felt more nimble than a 45k mile 02 Z28...

24. showstopper2

showstopper2 Guest

they feel powerful stock but are very loose bodywise. rattling Ttops, squeeks everywhere. my buddy's 98SS is like this and so was his old 96. the Passenger floor design could use some help as well. the only thing its good for is drying off your shoes in the wintertime!

25. 91RS

My 91 doesn't squeak, rattle, or leak (t-tops).