How to do factory fresh install?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by superfried, Mar 30, 2005.

1. superfried

superfried New Member

I have Win98SE and I want to know if the following steps are enough to guarantee a factory fresh install:

1. use floppy disk (Win98SE boot disk) to delete primary partition and re-create primary partition

2. format HD and re-install software

3. tap F1 repeatedly while it is booting to get setup menu, press F5 to change to default, press F10 to save and exit

I did all of these things and I had error messages that I've never had before after formatting my HD and re-installing my software. I had installed WinME over Win98SE before that and I also took out a sound card which I tried to install. I had a modem which I replaced.

Even when I put back the modem, I had error messages for my Ethernet adapter (error 59 I think). Also, I'm able to run UT 2004 demo but not UT 1999.

I have the impression maybe some information from a previous installation was still in the computer. How do you make sure you don't have any information left from a previous installation before re-installing your software?

2. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Go to the website of the company that made your hdd, and see if they have a hdd utility tool for download. Most companies do and the utility should have an option to write zero's to the hdd, which in turn brings it back to original state. If you don't know the company of your hdd I believe there are a couple universal hdd utilities that should work.

3. superfried

superfried New Member

Well, I'll check that out. But I meant, where are the places inside the computer where information is still stored if you format your drive. The motherboard has a battery inside. So, I figured if I take that out and put it back in, it might erase everything.