GUN How to do a .223 700 in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So I'm still thinking about building a 700 up as an accuracy build but I'm not sure what model to look at. The police or ltr models seem reasonably but the 1/9 twist sucks if I'm wanting to run heavy ammo. Any ideas on what to look for? Plan on just ripping off the stock barrel?

I've also considered a 6.8spc build but the twist and chambering suck again compared to what I want...

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Could go 223 AI?

3. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

rebarrel in 1n7

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

6.8PSC sucks. I really have a hard time seeing it's uses out of a bolt-gun.

1-9 will *sometimes* stabilize the 75'MAX (which is the hot ish) out of a 20" tube. Actually, I hear more people say it did, then it didn't. Speed helps, so punching it 223AI might tip you over the edge if you are close.

Otherwise, find the cheapest way into an action, and rebarrel it. 700's show up cheap around deer season, and you used to be able to get Howa actions cheap (which are pretty damn legit.

The lack of 1-8 offerings from the factory is one of my biggest bitch.

5. Big fuckin' +1 on the 6.8spc sucking for anything other than close range. Moly the .223AMax and run it real fast for your best chance at stabilizing out of a 1:9 barrel. Of course, rebarreling it is the best answer, though more expensive. If you're considering .223 at least have the stock barrel reamed to .223AI.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

compatibility with a similarly chambered ar, lighter recoil than .308, better barrier penetration than .223. any suggestions for a better intermediate caliber? i've considered just going .308 too but i like to take the ladies shooting and they don't enjoy it as much :big grin:

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fair, but what is a 6.8 gonna do out of a bolt-gun that it won't out of an AR?

I'll be honest, I wasn't thinking in those terms. To me the 6.8 is an AR caliber - if you have a bolt gun use a rifle caliber. I just don't see anything gained, and it seems like you are cock-blocking a perfectly good rifle action.

If 223 wasn't your thing, I'd roll a 243AI/7Something, completely skipping 308, and start slaying shit - but obviously it doesn't meet your commonality concern.

8. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

some people are squeezing a barnes 85g tsx to 2957fps out of a 12incher:eek3:
    but as said,i personaly wouldnt use it in a bolt gun

9. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can imagine the action's internal monologue as it sits at the gunshop:

Man, that guy just reamed a barrel in 6.8spc, I pity the action that ends up with that. :ugh:

Hey, why's he walking over here now? :eek4:

Please, grab the action next to me. :noes:

OH SHIT! :wtc:

I had such potential. :greddy:

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. Painkiller

Somebody locate me a 12" 6.8 AR barrel k thx.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm thinking of going 243. I's like to one day have a AR-10 and a mag fed bolt gun in 243 one day. I have thought about 243AI strictly for bragging rights for having the hottest most screaming bitch on the the line but from what I hear the AI's don't feed well out of magazines so that defeats the purpose. Plus I don't need to burn out those barrels any faster than I would normally do.

Even still

"Fuck Yar brought a lot of fucking gun. I bet those plates are going to get murdered."

"Fuck Yar it's only 50 MPH full value wind do you really need a 243AI?"

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While a 223ai bolt gun would be cool for brass if I were to build a hyper velocity 22 (mostly for long range rodent execution) I would get a 22-250ai and a video camera attachment for my scope.

14. Painkiller

Maybe I should do 243AI on my vls. I don't reload though. :(

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

This is why you need one. Shoot the 85gr X's and watch all the match directors cry as you completely fuck all their steel.

I'm curious to see what the deal is with the mag situation...... Lots of myths surrounding AI rounds not feeding from boltguns (700's in particular), but that shit is a 10 min fix (just spread the feedlips). Dunno about the AR stuff, but I've always wondered if it's a similar situation.