SRS How to deal with the stress of WORK

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by T.A.M., Feb 24, 2005.

1. T.A.M.

T.A.M. New Member

Does anyone know any good ways to deal with the stress at work. Taking care of your stress when at home is far easyer then at work. I have a job working for an un-named insurance company and sometimes it drives me crazy. I sit in a cubicle infront of a computer allday so getting some fresh air can be difficult. Please any sugestions would be apprechiated.

2. teo

teo . => ? => !

what exactly do you do? if it's phone work, get a headset if you don't already have one, and make sure it's got a long cord. get up, stretch, face a different direction. (I work on phones and that's what i do.) Think about what specifically stresses you, and take specific actions to target and nullify that stress.

Other, generic suggestions:
    - Get those cheezy stress toys that they hand out at conventions all the time. Those things actually work.
    - Get a tiny fishtank for your desk and put a couple of tetras in there. Take minibreaks to watch them during the day.
    - Bring in a book that you can read in bite-sized pieces throughout the day.

Also, cut out caffeine if you haven't already; it only makes things worse. Drink herbal tea instead... i recommend peppermint :bigthumb:

3. johan

johan Active Member

Get physical exercise. Sounds simple, but it underlies all else.

You can do meditation, chanting, deep breathing, thought blocking, crystals, talk therapy, etc. but your body is first and foremost a physical organism.

Start running in the afternoons/evenings. Or biking, or anything else.

You will find that when your body is fit and toned, you have a huge capacity for simply shrugging off things that would've seemed impossible to overcome before.

4. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

:werd:

In addtion to the golden advice, try to get into the mindset that work stays at work. Once you are out the door to go home, you are on your own. And remember any job should be viewed as working to live, not living to work :) Letting your job rule your life takes all the fun out of your free time.

My job over the last few years has changed from 1 set of simple duties to about 12 things that needed to be done yesterday, and be in 3-4 places at once. I have inherited 2 or 3 other people's jobs (in addition to my own duties) instead of the firm replacing those people. Needless to say, I have work waiting for me when I come in first thing in the morning, and then something else to do trickles in just before I need to leave. But once 4:45 comes, I am gone. The task that just came in gets to wait til tomorrow. Once I am on the road home, all thoughts about work and what has to be done are left at the door.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005