SRS How to deal with stress?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by turbo's little bro, Aug 10, 2006.

1. turbo's little bro

turbo's little bro Active Member

Thing is, I have had serious stomach problems for the past 4 years now, since I graduated high school. Right after I graduated, I lost 50 lbs in a matter of months (from 200 to 150) at which time they checked for colon cancer and other things which I don't have (though I do have diverticuli, which is unheard of at the time). Since then, I have had stomach pains quite frequently (usually 2-3 times a day), and occasionaly it get so bad I cannot focus on anything, get really sweaty, and just writhe in pain for about 30 min. since I went away to college, I have gone into the hospital once for vomiting randomly for 6 hours straight (no alcohol involved, or infection), and I almost went into the hospital on monday and this morning because I was in such pain I was having trouble breathing.

Problem is, every doctor I talk to can't find anything wrong with me, and attributes it to nerves or stress. I figured this was a bullshit cop-out answer for not knowing what's wrong with me, but I suppose if everyone's wrong, maybe it's that I'm wrong. I need to find out how to deal with stress without eliminating it, because I work especially well under stress, and I need to be at my peak for the next year and a half of school (I'm at UC Berkeley doing Bioengineering).

I have tried eliminating caffiene out of my diet to no avail, and have started exercising, but this is seriously getting in the way of school (I missed a quiz this morning because I couldn't make it to class). There is no correlation to my diet because while some food will bother my stomach everytime (pizza, cheesecake, etc), the past times I almost went to the hospital I had a bread roll and a mike's hard lemonade, and this time was a bagel w/cream cheese and apple juice. Any ideas?

cliffs: stress is rockin my stomach to the point of hospitilization... I need help with it

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

It might not be stress? Maybe see another doctor?

Dealing with stress though, I guess my only pointer is not to take stuff so seriously. Basically don't worry about things, either do it then (rather than worrying about having to do it) or don't think about it. Most of all I think is don't stress about stuff that you can't change, as there really is no point doing it. I've never really had a big issue with stress as I tend to take things as they come so what I'm saying might be of no use at all :dunno:

However, I definately advise more exercise. It is a great stress reliever and an overall way to a healthier body.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Hard physical exercise is one of the best and most efficient ways of dealing with stress. Go run for 30 mins or ride a bike (fast) or speed walk. It'll also help you focus better on school. Your mind will be sharper, more focused. There is a very definate mind, body, spirit connection and you need to take care of all 3 to be in proper balance.

Eating healthy has a very direct impact on stress levels also. If you dump a bunch of sugar in your body, don't be surprised when you feel slugish and run down. Eat more fruits and vegies.

There really isn't any magic formula for dealing with stress. You just have to do something to eliminate it either by quitting a stressful job, cutting back on work hours, taking up a hobby (painting, sculpting, etc), meditation, and exercise. There are others but most are just a variation of these.

Learning how to manag stress levels is part of growing up. Good Luck.