How to deal with rust on right rear quater panel? **PICS**

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by XGaSpAcHo, Jan 7, 2009.

1. XGaSpAcHo

XGaSpAcHo New Member

here's the back story...

some retard scraped my bumper and quater panel in a parking lot. the bumper isn't too bad just scuffed up missing a little paint here and there. i can deal with that. the quater panel however lost some paint and is begining to rust in the area. the rust spot is about 3-4 inches long and 1/4-1/3 of an inch wide. it's right where the bumper meets the quater panel. i got a couple quotes to fix it and i'm looking at around $450 to get it done. that's to take off the bumper, grind down the quater panel, repaint it (fading it in with the rest of the car), and wetsand the bumper to remove the scuff marks. or i can pay $50 to have them try to remove as much rust from it as possible and touch it up. i know it won't look great but i don't really care about it since the car is already almost 6 years old and it saves me $400. only thing i'm worried about is that this won't really fix the problem but just mask it and the rust will eat away at the quater panel and i'll be stuck with a more expensive repair in a year. plus there might be rust in the groove between the bumper and the quater panel where they can't reach unless they take the bumper off. or does the rust not spread that quickly/severly?

pics:
    http://uploader.ws/upload/200901/IMG...01061313_2.jpg
    http://uploader.ws/upload/200901/IMG...01061314_3.jpg

2. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Pay the money to get it done right. $450 is nothing when you consider doing it the other way s probably gonna result in rust through.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

That.

4. BBSLM

BBSLM New Member

no shortcuts.

5. XGaSpAcHo

XGaSpAcHo New Member

that's what i figured. just sucks that i now have to shell out $450 because some cunt flap doesn't know how to pull into a parking space. :mad:

6. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Yeah, it sucks. I have to do it for my truck because someone crushed my fender in a parking lot. Amazing how quotes vary though, one shop quoted me $1300 and another quoted me $425! I asked the guy with the 1300 quote if his paint used platinum as the metal flake. He said no, so I asked him if he was installing a solid gold fender. He said no. So I asked him to justify the ridiculous estimate, he said that is how much anyone would charge. So I showed him the other quote, told him he might wanna rethink his pricing, and walked.

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Insurance paid my brother $6000 for hail damage to his truck and most shops he went by were wanting about the same. He found a shop that did the work for $3400. Pretty painfully obvious why when he got the truck back. Runs, drips, sags, fisheyes, horrific overspray on his wheels, door jambs, under the hood, on the glass and INTERIOR door panels. Visible sanding marks under the paint and to top it all off, they couldn't even color match the paint on a 3 month old truck. After taking it back twice and it being worse each time, he sued them for damages. Ended up getting $10,000 but had to pay a lawyer 40% of that and the whole ordeal was dragged out for 18 months.

You need to get several more quotes and if they are more in line with the higher estimate, then I'd stay as far away from that low estimate as possible.

8. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

if you go with the $50 option.... "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!"

:bigthumb:

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Oh I did, the shop that quoted me the $400 quote does great work, I have several friends that have brought their cars to them and they all look perfect. The shop that was high is a hot rod shop, and they price everything as if you are bringing them a show car. I told the guy that my truck is FAR from a show car, and how about he do a quote for a DD. He said that is his quote. I got over a dozen estimates and all except him were in the $400-600 range. It's a wonder he is even still in business.

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

C'mon, I'm gonna go to Peach auto painters and get their $49.95 peach of a paint job. Should be able to enter in the Concourse D'Elegance with that baby!

11. Dodge guy

Dodge guy OT Supporter

umm, sand it, bondo it, have it painted, win

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

You know, it's just as possible that he quoted your particular job that high because he didn't want to touch the job, too.... I've done that before on details where I really didn't want the job and couldn't just say to the person "sorry, no."

:o