SRS How to deal with boredom in day to day life?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by soapytoast, Nov 15, 2008.

1. soapytoast

soapytoast New Member

I'm a 21 year old male who lives at home with his parents for my own reasons. I was recently laid off in August and as a result I had to goto school in order to be helped financially. I'm still looking for a job but prospects are dim. School is going alright, I'm taking econ, bio and music theory. I'll do well with Econ but the other two classes I don't have much hope for. My job provided me with a way to be productive and work in a field that I enjoyed. Sure, I didn't make much but I was happy. Recently I feel myself becoming more and more sad, not depressed but lonely and outright bored. All my classes are online due to the amount of time I had before classes started and availibility of courses so I don't get to interact with other people on campus. My life at this point consists of going to church on sunday, doing classwork during the week which is minimal, and pretty much spending all my time on the internet wasting the day away. I'm glad the semester is close to ending because I wasn't enthusiastic about the courses I'm taking and the fact that they're all online. I really want to surround myself with people. Living with my parents without my brother or sister here is really lame imo. I may be ranting but I just wanted to find out if other people have been in a similar situation to mine and what they found that helped them get through these boring times.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The only thing you learn from being introvert is that you need to be extravert, introversm is a pathway to lonelyness, the only thing that helps is 'do whatever it takes!!!' to shutting off your computer, put on your shoes and 'be there were the people are' ,go outside and goto the mall, goto the cinema, in such a scenario you 'may be alone' but you have a hella lot of people around you, which makes you feel less lonely even tho you've got nothing to do with them. Do your homework in the library, its a place with people around you and its reasonably quiet and as a plus you have resources around you. Stop living in that sick building, i was so sick of going back behind my computer after i visited Tokyo, i was like what the hell am i wasting my life on? It was a pure realisation that staying in the house equals missing out in life.

I also came to another consideration. Most people have work/school,were they work and consider home as a place to relax , i personally think its bad , its better to work an entire day, and consider your home as a place to sleep only. That attitude will keep you at bay from going behind your computer which is evil.

Its all a change of attitude, refusing ANYTHING in your life that means 'wasting time' and do EVERYTHING in your power which means 'IMPROVING YOUR LIFE', that takes a lot of hard work and will keep you busy. Meaning , study, reading, communicating (real life mouth to mouth ,not pc or mobile) for the lonely person its not good to contact thru mobile or pc, prefer real life contact.

Honestly the only way to save yourself is to put on your shoes and get out of there. Put your mind on zero and Press the off button, and run away to free yourself from the machine's control.

3. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Get a job. It doesn't have to be a great career job but just something to get you out of the house. Even just a retail job for the holidays would be good because at least you would meet people and not be alone all day.

4. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Introversion and Extroversion have nothing to do with "loneliness" or the ability to be social.

An introvert is somebody who needs to be alone to recharge.

An extrovert is somebody who needs to be around people to recharge.

There is no shame or loneliness involved in being an introvert. The trouble with a lot of introverted people is that they spend TOO much time recharging. It's like a cell phone. You leave it sit on charger for too long, and when you take it off it won't hold a charge, so you have to leave it on the charger all the time.

If you spend too much time alone, you become dependent on BEING alone and when you DO get around people, you get drained quickly and feel compelled to go back to your "charger" (being alone).

What you, the introvert, need to realize is that:

1. It's ok to be alone to recharge and there is no shame in being introverted (even if society has attached a stigma to it, as is evidenced by DarkEternal's post)

2. That just like a cell phone battery, you gotta "train" yourself to remain off that "charger." What I mean is, that you gotta keep putting yourself in social situations until you are completely drained...then go home and be alone and recharge. Do it again, and again and again until you train yourself to be off your "charge" long enough to have the kind of life you can enjoy and be comfortable with.

You don't have to immediately jump out there and be around people everyday...that will be exhausting to you. Just train yourself to be around people...start slowly and build up to it. Join a club, go to the gym. Hell you don't even have to interact with people your first few times out. Just so long as you get yourself around people it'll help strengthen your "charge" a bit.

But remember, if you are truly an introvert, you will NEED some alone time to recharge. Don't be ashamed of that. There is not shame in that. Just try to find the balance you need.

5. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

You need to find a hobby, preferably one that is cheap. Working out is a good one, many schools have a gym or a discount at a nearby gym. Look into craft type hobbies that can be sold, if you are into that sort of thing. (Ex. look at the figureines in the FS/T forum, cool idea). Find a couple people in the same kind of situation, together you can find things to pass the time.

Please just STFU. You don't understand the difference between and introvert and a lonely person. I am an introvert, but I have plenty of friends and spend alot of time with them. The difference is that I have to have alone time to be happy, unlike and extrovert who uses that time around others to be happy.

6. KindlyCuddly

KindlyCuddly Irina Lazareanu

Read books. Make art. Sew/knit. Cook!

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I don't agree , an introvert is a person who leads a lifestyle that leads to isolation and lonelyness, and this person is doing just such so my advice for him to expand his world by leaving the house and going more outdoors meeting people was correct.

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

So....get off the computer and do something.

9. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

Your advice is fine.

Your understanding of introversion/extroversion is what's fucked. And that's not really something you can "disagree" with, as it's pretty much textbook psychology.

10. minhtos

minhtos OT Supporter

find joy in all your present situations. the text "the power of now" by Tolle might be inspiring for you