How to create PDF Files??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Everything I see that centers around copying stuff from another source document. Is there no way to create a document from scratch? I play D&D and would like to create a killer character sheet. Thanks.

2. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You wouldn't want to create a document from scratch with plenty of programs (Word) out there that excel in creating a document. PDF is just a file format. Even Adobe's Writer assumes you want to use another program to create the source document.

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

@Repentinus
    Use Word, or even Notepad if you want, to make whatever it is you're trying to do. Then use CutePDF to "print" with and save it as a PDF if you want it as PDF file.
    But from the sound of it, you want to make a character sheet and print it, right? Then just do it in Word and print it out with your printer. But if you want to give this to your friends, then that's where the PDF file would come in.

@5Gen
    Even with the full version of Adobe Acrobat (PDF maker) you still start off in something like Word and when you want to make it a PDF you "print" it with Acrobat to save it as a PDF. All Acrobat is used for is so you can add clickable links and add sound or video within the PDF itself.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Uh - yeah - that's what I said... :ugh:

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think what he's looking for is the ability to make checkable checkboxes and fillable fields, like a lot of government PDFs have nowadays. I would think that just printing the document to the "Adobe PDF" printer wouldn't be sufficient to accomplish that.

That said, Repentinus, you're probably reinventing the wheel. Try searching for "D&D PDF character sheet" or something along those lines.