how to create an animation from photoshop files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Orkin Yards, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards 5.9 Limited, have you driven one lately?

I am working on my design portfolio and have a bunch of different photoshop files that I want to make an animation from.

I am interested in somehow making it look like you are actually flipping pages in a book -

How would I do something like that? I figured out how to make a flash animation in illustrator however it is just like an animated gif would be

any ideas?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

You really use ImageReady to do the animation.
    Here is what I did, might be a better way but this worked for me
    Create each frame in Photoshop, each frame is a layer.
    The take a frame/layer that is going to start the what is animated and copy it then move it into the next position. Then I copy that layer and move again.

Once you have all of the frames/layers you need. Make all of the layer hidden but for the very first frame/layer that you want to start with.
    Click File->Edit in ImageReady
    ImageReady will start up and you'll see your image with layers.
    If the animation window doesn't show up right away, look for Animation under the Window menu.

The first frame will be whatever frames are visible.
    In the Animation window for each frame at the bottom is a time, click on that you can select preset times or you can use a custom time. This is the time that the frame will show before moving to the next frame.
    Click the Duplicate frame button in the toolbar in the Animation window. Now in the layer palette show or hide which ever layer you want next in the sequence.
    Repeat that until you have all of the frames the way you want.
    Click the Play button in the Animation window and watch to see if it is how you like it.

I usually set the first frame to 0.2 or 0.5seconds because I want to stay up for a long time. I then make the following animated frames at 0.1 or maybe 0.2
    I don't know, only because I haven't tried yet, if something like 0.15 would work or how well. Give it a try and see.

I hope I made that easy enough to understand and follow.

If you have any more questions let me know and I'll answer them the best I can. Keep in mind I'm still learning Photoshop (which I don't think will ever stop) and I know even less about ImageReady...ok really what I just told is the about all I know :big grin:.

3. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards 5.9 Limited, have you driven one lately?

is this going to make it look like the pages are being flipped though or just a transition from one slide to the next?

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

As long as you make enough frames it will look smooth, you can edit the timimg (sp?) on how long the frames are shown.