How to create a downloadable URL shortcut?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

There's this URL shortcut that I want to put on my website so that when visitors visit the site, they can click on the link to download the icon can they can choose save and it goes to their desktop. What is the proper way to put this in the HTML code?

Do I need to put the extension .url?

Like http://www.blahblahblah.url????

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I heard of clicking a link to add a page to your favorites, but not actually saving a shortcut to your desktop. They would probably have to right click your link and select save target as.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

You need to create a URL file and link to it. It can be called whateveryouwant.url , and they will be asked where they want to save it.

Read http://www.cyanwerks.com/file-format-url.html

I dunno if they're a good idea ? Will bookmarks not suffice?

4. telc

telc OT Supporter

Create shortcut on your own desktop. Upload the .url file to your webserver. Create a link to the .url file. When they click it they will be prompted to save it.

I can't see why you want to do it this way. Most people wont want to save a shortcut like that.

Just create a link that they click and it will get added to their favorites, that is the most common way.

5. HY

HY New Member

actually i was thinking about doing something like that for school. students can enter in the username and password then then it would generate putty links that automatically logged them in.