How to copy dvd's exact?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quickone, Dec 28, 2004.

1. quickone

quickone New Member

I just got a dvd burner....I would like to make copies of all my dvds and play the copies instead of the actual original. I want to keep them in as good a shape as possible. (i'm weird like that) Anyway...Software that came with it is Nero. Now the dvd copies to my hdd...but when I burn it...it only copys the video files itself..and puts each one into chapters. for example...the main movie is one big chapter...then it copies the intro...extra scenes...etc. as seperate chapters. What I want to do is be able to make exact copies of the original. Any pointers or software that will do the job? Thanks!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. quickone

quickone New Member

ummm...Its legal to make backups of stuff you own buddy

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it is not legal to crack the encryption of a commercial dvd. If the DVD you wish to make a "backup" up is encrypted, then it is not legal to crack that encryption to make a backup.

So, yes it's legal to make a backup. However, it is not legal to crack the encryption.

If making a backup (legal) requires you to crack the encryption (illigal), then you cannot legally make the backup using that process.

---

Can you turn left on a green light? Yes.

Can you go straight through a red? No.

Can you go straight through a red to then make a left on a green light the next intersection? No.

5. quickone

quickone New Member

Yes will there was none on this...what I did want to know was how I can make a copy without copying the video file itself...but all the features of the original...not sure how

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The video on the actual DVD is probably too big for a regular DVD-R, so you'll have to compress it (what Nero probably does) to get it all on. If you want an exact copy of the entire DVD you'll probably need to burn it onto a dual layer DVD, which are expensive.

8. quickone

quickone New Member

9. quickone

quickone New Member

It is small enough for a dvd+r

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

In order to copy the contents of the DVD, you must decrypt it... That is what's not legal.

So if you think you can do it w/o decryting it, then please explain what you can do that others cannot.

11. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

If there's no encryption you can use something like Roxio or Nero to copy. You have to remember though, if you're copying a disc that's dual layer, you'll need a dual layer disc to make an exact copy.

From your post thought that it should fit on a DVD+R, you just need to either do disc to disc copy or rip an ISO of the DVD and then burn that ISO to the DVD+R

Now if there's enryption involved look at www.dvddecrypter.com and DVD Shrink

12. Penguin Man

Just fuck off and take his word for it that there's no encryption on the DVD that he's trying to copy. That's how we've always done it on this forum.

13. Penguin Man

In that case, just rip the entire DVD to an ISO (not sure how one would do this on Windows, on Linux it's just mkisofs /mountpointofdvd >> whatever.iso) then burn that to the DVD using Nero or whatever you like.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sure, and I await your guide on how to rob a bank...

15. Penguin Man

You seem not to understand my point. He says that there is no encryption on the DVD he is trying to copy. Yes, this seems unlikely, but it's possible. Just believe him and answer his damn question instead of accusing him of all sorts of terrible crimes (god forbid someone break an idiotic law that doesn't protect anyone anyway, it's like going 60 in a 50 zone at 2AM when there's no one else on the road). Like I said, ever since I've been on this forum we've just taken people at their word. If they don't specifically mention some illegal behavior, then we answer their questions on the assumption that they need the information for some legal purpose.

16. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

:gfight:

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

but that is my exact point... If there was no encryption, he could use Nero to do a straight disc-to-disc copy. But here he is asking about additional "tools" and people have already mentioned *ILLIGAL* tools.

By the way dvddecryptor and dvdshrink are illigal to download/import in the US. Guess why? They defeat encryption.

Taking someone at their word is wrong when you have a good reason to believe that what they are asking involves something illigal. You never know -- maybe the person asking the question doesn't know any better, in which case it's our duty to tell them.

18. Penguin Man

First of all, it's illegal, root word being legal, not "ligal."

Secondly, yeah, sure if the question is about killing people then that's all fine and good, but we're talking about coyping DVDs here.

19. SuperGriff34

SuperGriff34 OT Supporter

learn how to spell first of all then we can talk.. illegal!!! not illigal..... so yeh... who cares what hes doin first of all its not like it harms you anyways

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's what I hate most about the world today (okay, maybe not the worst -- but it annoys the crap outta me)... If the victim is a business or someone rich, then it's "okay" to steal something from them... It's becoming increasingly rare to find someone who gives a damn about the law -- and the principle behind it. Stealing a movie is wrong. I'm not even talking about quickone here; I'm talking "in general". So copying dvd's is a faceless crime? And therefore forgivable?

so is your best argument on this subject the fact that I typed that message faster than i should have?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

indirectly, it does. If the movie industry thinks that they lose more, then they pass that cost on to the enduser. Anyone here from dumb-fuck canada? Penguin Man? How much do your CD-R's cost? Why?

For those who don't live in canada, or don't know why CD-R's cost so much in Canada:

A levy is placed on every blank CD-R that you buy in canada. Why? To re-imburse the music industry for stolen music. Not because each disc is used to copy music -- but because the whole industry must be punished because of a lot of people's decisions.

22. Kevo

Kevo Mustang GT

CDRs are cheap here:)

23. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

24. Penguin Man

A 100-pack of 80min CD-Rs is $18.99 Canadian (~$16 US) here, which seems to be cheaper than I can find on NewEgg. Things that make you go hmmm.

If you actually look at the facts, you'll discover that the music industry was in decline long before copying CDs became viable for most people, it's an ongoing trend caused more by the lack of good music than the growth of piracy. In fact, certain labels (NoneSuch for example) that focus on producing good music rather than trying to sell tons of shitty records have actually seen profits increase in recent years.

25. quickone

quickone New Member

thanks guys for your help