How to convince family members to eat healthier?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by woot, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woot

woot wo

I am worried about my father's diet. The problem is he looks really fit due to the nature of his job but he eats take out and fast food 90% of the time. He is a grown man and also my father so I can't make him listen to me or do anything. I have expressed my concerns before he kind of shrugs it off. Recently he had a blood checkup and his lipid profile and blood sugar level is off the charts. Even then he doesn't care.

Any experience?

2. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

unless the person wants to change or be changed there isn't much you can do. He will and can just brickwall you and ignore everything cause he's lived this long and hasnt changed anything or had any serious problems to warrant the change.

Tell him your concerned and thats it.

3. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

No one likes to be preached to, if you lead by example and they want to better themselves then they will ask you.

4. knucks

knucks Active Member

How old are you? How old is he?

5. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

is he really fit ?

6. woot

woot wo

I am 24 and he is 52.

Probably fitter than most 30 year olds. At least fit looking. Probably why he doesn't seem to be phased by the blood profile. Which is bad.

Been already doing this. Thanks for reading my first post.

Yeah because wanting family member to live longer and healthier is preaching to him?

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I've tried 1,000,000 times to get my dad to eat better. If they don't want to change, they won't.

He's the epitome of the classic "power-lifter" style build we all joke about here.
    Big dude, strong, but a monstrous gut. He's on meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and has already had heart surgery before 50.

He eats insane portion sizes and relatively unhealthy food.

He just won't listen. He knows what he's doing is bad, but in the end, he'd rather stuff his face.

He's actually getting that lap-band surgery done soon I guess. I hope it turns him around and he doesn't just end up overweight again in 5 years.

8. RollinDollos

RollinDollos Guest

Look bro I'm on your side here, if you tell him constantly he needs to eat this or that and has to stop eating cookies you are preaching to him. Chances are if you keep pestering him hes going to just get frustrated at you and your just digging yourself into a deeper hole then when you started.

If you tell the majority of people over 40+ who aren't willingly asking you for nutrition advice that they have to eat 4-6 times a day even explaining why they will look at you like you just fucked their cat.

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Good luck. I'm really the only person I know in real life that gives a crap about the gym and eating well. My family, friends and girlfriend all don't give two shits about it.

10. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

My mothers fiance is a fatass lazy piece of shit. His father died last year from kidney disease and he's now worked himself into early stage diabetes though he refuses to believe it. I've been working out and eating healthy for about 5 months now and have seen a lot of changes. He'll make fun of what I eat as he pounds down 12 oreos and a beer. I've tried talking honestly to him from a medical standpoint, making subtle "suggestions", and now I just insult him outright. His doctor has informed us that there's nothing we can do to make him change. Fuck him I hope he dies.

11. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

. only way to influence change in any area.

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

exactly.. my mom started jogging on her own and my dad watches what he eats here and there..

13. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

My dad was born in the Mediterranean so that's what his diet has been like his whole life.

Chicken, rice, olives (and OO obviously), tomatoes, cucumber, beans, peanuts and bananas

He's not particularly active besides walking around the block a few times a week but at least he eats well.

I wish I had more of that gene in me where I just ate that sort of food all the time and didn't really even question it. He has like ONE mini Almond joy every couple days because he likes them. Other than that his diet is clean as hell.

My mom on the other hand exercises a lot every day, has lost a respectable amount of weight, but gets in bad eating habits sometimes. But I know a crash diet wouldn't work for her. So a 100 calorie Klondike bar after dinner is fine. I know when I'm not around she cheats more, but at least she feels that addiction to exercising that will get her in better shape each week.

I think what it comes down to is making your family not only semi-addicted to this stuff, but make it a very UNCONSCIOUS process. When I think too much about eating healthy I find myself wanting to cheat more. But if I'm just sort of going about my business not thinking too much I tend to choose healthy things.

14. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

Give them motivation.. Show them my new video

[y]bZmVCUtazhY[/y]

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

In my experience a dude needs one of to things to actually make a significant change at that age.

1. A new girlfriend or potential girlfriend
    2. have 2-3 strokes or heart attacks

If you want to help him, get him to do some shit outside with you (help you build something mabye). If a guy lives on the road or has a shit job, you can't expect any motivation out of him.

16. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

Sounds like my dad, except opposite. Basically, he BARELY eats. He might have like 1 real meal a day and even then it'll be tiny.

17. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Fill his cabinets with healthy foods. Or slowly start filtering them in over time.

18. He is the only one that can make a decision.Also depends of his motivation in life.What does he want for himself?
    The problem is that eating that way is a fast road to death,and after all that is what he wants,and in the meantime he controls everybody having them worry about him.
    maybe some counseling can be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.