How to connect HD Home Theater setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rkf76, Mar 17, 2007.

1. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

I am planning my wiring layout so I can order the cables I need for my setup, I have the following:

Motorola Digital Cable box w/DVI, optical digital and component rca's
    Samsung LNS4051D 40" LCD HD Flat Screen
    Onkyo HT-S790
    Onkyo DV DV-SP404 HDMI DVD player

I was thinking to run the cable box directly to the TV by using a DVI to HDMI adapter and then running HDMI cable. Then running component rca's and an optical digital cable from the cable box to the receiver.

My DVD player has HDMI connection so I was thinking of running that to the TV's other HDMI slot, and then component rca's and optical digital to the receiver. **EDIT** This DVD player doesn't have optical digital output. Is there a need for me to run cables from it to the receiver since the TV is already connected to the receiver?

Then I was gonna run component rca's and optical digital from the TV to the receiver to seal the deal.

Does this sound right? Am I making more difficult than it needs to be? If so, how should I wire it up to get the best sound and picture quality while using the least amount of wiring?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I know my TV won't put out audio on the speaker output unless I tell it to and that disables the internal speaker, and that only puts out stereo, not 5.1. Your TV might be different. I have a similar setup to yours

Dish 211 using component and RCA audio to the TV, digital audio to the reciever.

Oppo DVD player, DVI to HDMI and RCA audio to the TV, digital audio to the reciever.

HTPC, DVI to HDMI and RCA Audio to the TV, USB digital optical audio passthru to the Reciever.

This way I can choose wether or not to use the reciever, I don't NEED it on all the time, which is good if the kids are asleep when we watch a movie, etc. This way uses a bunch more cable but it's a pretty flexible setup.

3. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

Well, I have pretty much decided to run it similar to yours, all video through the TV, all audio through the receiver. This seems to be the way to let any and all processing be done by the components that are the best equipped to do so, as well as minimizing wire management.

Is there any reason for me to run any video at all to my receiver? Why or why not?

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

The only reason it to not have to change your TV input when going from DVD to your Dish box to your PC to your 360HD, etc. The issue with that only the newer recievers will allow HDMI video switching, I don'
    t recall ever seeing a reciever that did component video switching . . . I've seen older ones do Svideo but you don't want to use that now a days with HD sources. My TV let me label the inputs, HD, DVD, Satellite, etc so it's not as hard as one would think. If my wife can do it . . . :big grin:

5. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

Well I got my TV today and got it all wired up. I have it setup to where I can have surround sound or just use the TV's speakers. The difference between composite rca's and component video rca's is like night and day. I first hooked it up using composite and it looked like crap, then I hooked up the component and it came to life. I'm loving it, but am addicted to HD programming, regular cable just doesn't work for me anymore.

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

YUP!! Took me about a day too. :cool:

7. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

I wish Comcast had more HD channels................maybe I should look into an HD package or something cause right now I only have like 10-15 HD channels

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Dish has like 24 channels or something . . . there is still never anything on!! Right now they are moving stuff over to their new Mpeg4 encoders, that should free up some space. There's always the a.b.hdtv newsgroups for HD stuff too. :big grin:

9. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

what's this a.b. hdtv newsgroup stuff you're talking about?