SRS How to confront someone about their unknown problem(anonymous post)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Darketernal, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

To start out I will give a little preface as to why I care so much. I'd had my heart thrown in the trash a while ago and while I "dated" between then and now I never considered the relationships serious. This girl took the time to become one of my best friends before we even started the "relationship" process. We are not dating due to events that I believe are in part caused by this medication. This medication issue sort of hit me after a series of events yesterday/last night. However, this girl is one of my best friends and I care for her deeply, beyond just my selfish wants of companionship and pussy.

Whether she's sober or intoxicated/messed up she is the most pleasant, caring, fun individual I couldn't care to be around anyone else. However, she was diagnosed with ADHD and is on generic Methylphenidate. When she's sober and on it she gets tweaky and short tempered. When she drinks on it all hell brakes lose. She gets short tempered and expects people close to her to bow to her whims as she ignores them and gets attention elsewhere. If you dont comply or follow her instructions she will either completely ignore you, search for hurtful things to say, or start an argument over the situation.

This is nearly EVERY time she's on the stuff and is drinking in large crowds/stimulating environments. I'd prefer they called attention whore deficit medication instead of ADHD medication.

How can I inform her of my observations with out losing this friendship or severely insulting her yet have her take me seriously as well? I feel like it will be some sort of bullshit friend to friend intervention and I dont want that connotation.

My goal is to convince her she should only be taking it to help with her school work when she actually needs it. I love hanging out with her so much (both non romanic and the possibility of resuming romantic encounters) that I dont want to end our relationship with one another, however I'm not one who feels the means of drama justifies the ends in most cases. For her there is a HUGE exception but I dont know that it will hold out depending on how this could go (a friend of mine called me out on the fact that I never deal with drama except for when it comes to said girl...and I just keep going back for more). Obviously with that in mind I can just let it go either.

Advice?

2. Daria

Daria New Member

I'm sorry I can't offer more advice, but one thing I would suggest you don't do is "convince her she should only be taking <her medication> to help with her school work when she actually needs it". She should be following the instructions of her doctor.

Good luck. Please keep us informed. I am curious to know how you will handle this.

3. cbanta

cbanta New Member

sounds like her dose is too high, I take Ritalin and its great, I noticed i felt tweaky and would get worked up over the littlest things when i first started and when I restarted with a higher dose after being off for 2 weeks (my insurance makes me do mail-order meds). I really like the meds and wish i realized i have ADD in High school (I'm 22 now), my grades would have been significantly higher. So maybe its not that she needs to go off it, but just be on a lower dose. And some people do need to take it on the weekends otherwise Monday they don't get the full benefits of the meds.

Also i'd just like to say, I'm not a dr. just a user.