How to choose a web host?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mdaniel, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

There's so many of them that I'd just be throwing a dart at a Google search result page. So what's a decent host? I'm not looking for the cheapest, just something reasonably cheap but also reliable. Tons of bandwidth isn't necessary. Good web mail is a must and I'd REALLLLLLY like someone with a customer service staff in and English speaking country. Does that even exist?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

No one knows any good hosts?

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I use 1and1.com and I have never had a problem. Recently my server was down for a couple hours, that is the first downtime I have ever seen in 4 years. They have an absolutely fully featured and awesome control panel. Domains from them are only 5.99 per year, but with some hosting plans you get free domains. I get I think 5 free with my business account. I don't know how they compare price-wise, but they have been a great host for me so I don't plan on ever switching.

Also, webhostingtalk.com is a very valuable tool for you right now. Before you order from anywhere, search WHT for their name and see what comes up.

4. Sin.dc2r

Sin.dc2r New Member

i use a small orange (asmallorange.com) to host my forum. It was recommended by many people and the price is great. PM me for more info. I just finished it so if anyone can give me any tips I'd appreciate it. http://www.chondroforums.com

5. ady

ady New Member

6. chips

chips ...

I like hostgator alot.

7. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest