How to care for new cars - pros, please provide your input

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by jsilas, Sep 22, 2009.

1. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

So my wife and I just purchased new cars, and I'm obviously very motivated to get them protected and cared for properly as soon as we take delivery.

Over the years, I've heard a lot of various (and often conflicting) "facts" about how one should care for brand new paint. I've heard you shouldn't polish the car at all, for fear of the paint not being properly cured, and the same about wax - "you can't seal the paint with wax/sealant because it's still curing". I've even heard that you can't WASH a new car for some amount of time, again for fear of the paint not curing properly.

I'd like to get through all the BS and get to the actual facts, and I know we have some pros in this forum (like Scottwax, for example) that probably have the factual information I'm looking for.

So please, share your thoughts on how I should best care for the paint on my new cars.

For me personally, the cars are Acuras, so if I should know anything specific to that brand, let me know, but I'd like this thread to serve anyone looking to learn about how to care for a new car.

Cheers! :wavey:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The stickies are a good start...

You can wax a new car right away, the paint is baked at high temperatures at the factory so the paint is fully cured by the time it gets to the dealer.

It is repaints that generally require at least some waiting period before waxing. Since the vehicle is fully assembled, it cannot be baked at the same high temperatures the factory uses. The people at the body shop will be able to tell you how long to wait before waxing.

Absolutely, positively DO NOT LET THE DEALER PREP THE CARS. Unless you like swirls and marring of course. Don't let the dealer wash the cars when you bring them in for servicing. Make a big sign that says "do not wash" and tape it to the steering wheel and also make sure the service advisor notes on your paperwork you do not want them to wash the car.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Werd! Those minimum wage lackies caused me a few hours of buffing because of their shenanigans with a rotary on my new truck. Even though I told my salesman NOT to have them wash it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

:werd:

I took my car in for the 2nd oil change and when i picked it up the sales chick was all like "hey look, we washed your car for you!" and i was like :ugh: since i could see the swirls on it already.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:squint: I'd have grabbed her by the throat and thrown her against a wall if she said that to me :noes:

Every time I go to the dealer I put a post-it note over the gauge cluster that says "DO NOT WASH OR 'CLEAN' THIS VEHICLE IN ANY WAY!! Thanks." Fuck letting them make work for me fixing their fuck-ups.

6. Howardman3

Howardman3 New Member

tell the dealer to buff out the orange peel first and then go from there. if you're not seeing it you're looking wrong.

7. Scottwax

:ugh: I really hope you are joking.

8. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

So I understand I shouldn't let the dealer prep the car - but is there going to be a bunch of orange peel in the paint?

I only have a RA polisher so I'm not sure I could get aggressive enough with it to do much against orange peel.

9. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Almost all new cars, if built in the US, are going to have ridiculous orange peel. Thank the EPA for that, their mandate of low VOC paint is the culprit. I just live with the orange peel and keep it as shiny as I can. My DD isn't a show car, so orange peel isn't going to piss me off too much. If it really bothers you, then you could always take it to a pro detailer and have him wetsand the orange peel out and do a full polish on the car, but it won't be cheap.

10. barfdogg

barfdogg Active Member

Typical production vehicle paint thickness will not allow for complete removal of orange peel.:)

11. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

Well shit - so basically I have to just live with orange peel with dangerous reduction of paint thickness as my only alternative?

:ugh: Thanks EPA

12. Scottwax

You can only safely wetsand about .3 mil of clear, leaving another .1 mil removal when polishing out the sanding marks, leaving a scant .1 mil cushion above the minimum safe thickness of 1 mil.

Most factory orange peel is bad enough that .3 mil of wetsanding isn't going to make enough of an improvement to warrant thinning the clear coat.

13. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

So what's the best approach to getting a good mirror-like finish? I see your posts all the time here and on Autopia, as well as other pro-detailers' threads, and they get black paint looking literally flawless.

How do I get to that kind of finish?

14. barfdogg

barfdogg Active Member

You can have some orange peel and still have a shiny as fuck appearance. Read the stickies in this section for the appropriate car care steps and a good list of products. Its never too early for clay, etc. Unless for some reason the car needs more, following these steps will yield excellent results.

15. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

I know I can get shine from the paint - that's not what I was asking. I'm a reasonably capable detailer, and have a decent collection of good products.

The question I'm really asking is how to get a mirror finish - what I mean by that is a mirror-smooth finish. The shine element is not what I mean so much as the smoothness of the paint.

16. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 New Member

I recently got an '09 vehicle, orange peel all up in this bitch. With the right products, the car can still look good.
    http://i32.tinypic.com/2126aed.jpg
    I went with ONR, Clayed, Optimum Polish, and OptiShine as suggested in this forum. I was more than pleased with the results of the OptiShine and it was easy as piss to apply.

17. barfdogg

barfdogg Active Member

Well, like previously posted, you are SOL then. your OEM clear coat is too thin to smooth to the point of "mirror finish." Then only way you are gonna get that is with a very expensive paint job. You can do what scottwax suggested and take "some" of the clear off. That would get you closer, but you can ruin your paint, and will lose the ability to correct some issues in the future do to having too little clear left.

Unfortunately you are just gonna have to live with it.:dunno:

18. Scottwax

Some of the cars I have done are either wetsanded at the factory (Lexus LS460 has very minimal orange peel, Bentley, Rolls, Lamborghini all have little to no orange peel) or have been repainted and wetsanded. The vast majority have moderate to severe orange peel, mostly on the sides. Lots of times the horizontal surfaces have almost no orange peel and that is probably where most of the "mirror finish" shots are of.

Get rid of the swirls, that is the biggest key to having superb looking paint.

19. jsilas

jsilas OT Supporter

Thanks Scott, and everyone else who responded. We took delivery of the car this evening, and I'm pleased to say the paint actually looks really good - better than I expected.

Now to get out the RO and get her to shine... I'll take pics when I'm able...