SRS how to break the monotony of everyday life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deleterious, Jan 26, 2009.

1. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

im so tired of waking up, going to school, coming home, doing homework, etc.
    how do i make life more exciting? how can i free myself from the bored, callous feelings i always have? :hs:

2. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

join a gym and get into working out

go ride a bike

play basketball

etc

anything you do not already do, try something new. see how long it lasts, if life is still boring, then keep trying something new until it is not boring anymore

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I like reading philosophy and books that challenge my view of reality, of beliefs, and of the things that I thought were fundamental understandings, but turned out to be entirely incorrect.

Anything which causes me to see the world with "new" eyes is a way in which I've broken down the monotony of my life.

Every single morning I wake up, it's an entirely new day, no matter whether I go through my typical routine of washing dishes, changing litter boxes, brushing teeth, shaving, doing laundry, or a host of other things. That day has never happened before, and within it I have the choice to decide who I'm going to be, what I stand for and what I want to see happen in my life and the lives of those around me. I can influence everyone I come in contact with, and that is entertaining and interesting.

Most of us want to see the world change, or to be apart of something bigger. We're bored with living days as though they bleed into each other, paying bills, working a job which either makes us little money, or...conversely a great deal of it, and yet it all still seems so redundant.

Sit down, and stay quite for a little while, perhaps sitting on a pillow on the floor. Close your eyes and then think about all the things you want to see, to change, or whatever you wish. No matter how unreal it is, or how silly, think about it. When you're finished, write a list of the things you thought, then place a star next to each one that you believe you can realistically create.

There are many things you can do.

We all could use a fresh beginning, and it really begins with waking each morning and being aware that your days are limited, that there aren't infinite opportunities, and that whatever meaning and experiences you want need to be apart of your present moment, whether it's preparing, planning or taking part in whatever it is you're passionate about.

If you want to have a different experience then you'll need to be willing to change and to actively choose it by doing something now.

4. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I am in a similar situation... I am just tired of school. I would love to travel or start my life, but school feels like it is holding me back.

Everyone said how college was the best 4 years of their life... I still have no idea how these people had time to party. If I am not doing homework or spending time in the labs, it means I am doing something wrong.

5. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

mixed martial arts

6. Pwen

Pwen Guest

I can't answer that question for you.

I don't agree with any the suggestions either.

How old are you. It sounds like you're in high school. I ask because if you are underage you can't go the bar or do certain things.

At any age there is a myriad of shit to do. Join an organization if they provide a service, don't go there to meet people. Unless you know the people in the organization. Meeting new people can def change your life but I'm too old to just get along with anybody. That's what I say, if you want to switch up your daily routine do something that you don't normally do. Half the time when I do this I don't like the thing I decided to do and have to try something else.

7. hellagrant

hellagrant New Member

I 2nd that. Everyone should really be working out. Pick a program and stick to it. Working out will never get boring because you should be always increasing the weight and changing the program once in awhile.

8. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I used to do bodybuilding. I took a lot of pride in changing routines, and progressing through the stages.

When you can go to parties with friends and bench press chicks at the party -- the looks you get are awesome. Besides getting into excellent shape through cardiovascular exercise and circuit training, you can do so many incredibly diverse training routines.

I used to do like 5 different varities of pull ups for example. Behind the head, in front, hand grips inward, outward, wide grip, negatives, assists -- so many things. Getting creative makes it pretty awesome too.

One day I'd do suicides in the Basketball court, the next day I'd be running 2 miles, or swimming, biking, etc.

It's a lot of fun. It's one of many things you could do.

9. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

I like this. Do you have any suggestions for books to read?

10. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Sure, check my profile on myspace. On the lower left I have a massive list of all the books I like.

Here is the link: http://www.myspace.com/michaeldavidparent

Anything by Allen Watts is good. I actually liked Neale Donald Walshe's book Conversations With God. I know, kind of gay, but I really liked it.

Uh, what else. If you like History -- I mean "Truthful" history, Howard Zinn's "A People's History Of The United States" is awesome.

There are books on the stock market, psychology, spirituality, religion, philosophy, business, pretty much everything really.

11. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

will do:hsd:

12. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

It's not just how to break it, it is actually breaking it.

There are many ways to break it, many ways that were mentioned in this thread.

Actually giving them a shot and forcing yourself to try and act on the ways suggested is an entirely different story.

I have the same routine. I go to school, I sit on OT, I study/do homework as needed, I sit on OT/watch TV/whatever and go to bed.

I rarely go out due to A) Friends all have busy careers or children/wives/etc (I'm only 23 so it's kinda ridiculous :rofl: ) and B) When it's winter. I hate going outside in below 0 temperature. Absolutely hate it.

I do plan to start running in the spring to tone up some muscles and work on my heart as it is weak. Once I can afford it, I would love to join a gym or buy a home gym and start eating more to try and gain some weight.

13. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

life is monotonous until you are able to not worry about things...like when you're done with school, have a steady job, etc.

until then, get a dog

14. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I am a Volunteer Fire Fighter.

Certainly breaks the monotony when you might have a huge structure fire, a car wreck or a hazmat incident to go to.

Does suck when the call comes in on a date, or at 3:00 in the morning.

15. northw3st

northw3st New Member

there are books out there that encourage you to be spontaneous. they actually give you tasks to do everyday. try those.

i like to do something new every week. even if i dont want to do it, ill do it. that might sound dumb, doing things i dont want to do - but i hate doing the same thing all the time - it's depressing. im going to do 2 triathalons this summer, as im focusing on physical activity lately.