How to break a plauteu?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ibanez Guy, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

My family and I started a 20 week biggest loser competition on Jan 2 of this year. There are only 2 weeks left and I am in first place...currently sitting at 14.35% of total body mass lost. I started off great but in the last few weeks I've pretty much been doing nothing. How do I break this plauteu? I am on weight watchers, so I don't have a problem with what I'm eating. I've been working out 3-4 days a week. I've heard in the past that you have to do something different to your body...like eat more but workout more. Any other advice? BTW, after this competiton I still have a ways to go. I'm currently 290 at 6'4.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  2. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

at 6'4, there is no way you are 14.35% bodyfat at 290 pounds.....

3. gam3ovr

gam3ovr Y Hel0 Thar................

Why not???????????????? :ugh:

4. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

sorry, maybe I should have made that clear...I'm in first place in the competition, I've currently lost 14.35 percent of my body mass which equals 48.5lbs lost from my initial starting weight of 338.

5. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

can we please stop quoting bodyfat percentages to 1/100th of a percent precision :rofl: It's just silly, the margin of error for even the best methods is in whole numbers.

6. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

oh well that's different then

7. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

first off, congrats to you and your family for making a good move toward a healthier life!

second, what in detail are you doing for your workouts? Overcoming plateaus could be as easy as changing your exercises, times, reps, sets

8. VinSVT

VinSVT New Member

It's just mental.

Just keep going.

9. TZ

TZ Banned

it says you work out 3-4 days a week. try doing cardio on your off days of lifting?

10. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

My workouts used to be full body routine lifting every other day. I started it this way because I was a fat out of shape slob. I did cardio occassionally on those days or sometimes I went and did it on off days. Then I changed to working out upper body and lower body on different days. Both days always had cardio following them. Then i took a few weeks off for some reason, not sure why, just fell out of hte groove. Now recently I've just been riding a bike several times a week for an hour. Guess I might have just answered my own question...lol.

Anywho, thanks for trying to help, I guess I can see what I did there was to quit strenght training. I'll try to bump up my intensity on cardio and go back to hitting the weights.

11. TZ

TZ Banned

yeh make sure you keep working out

12. MP18

MP18 New Member

as you lose weight, your BMR (how many calories your body burns just existing) drops, so if you were 350 lbs and lost weight with exercise and eating 4000 cals a day, you will lose weight to the point where 4000 cals a day maintains your weight, when you stall you need to knock another 500 cals off and you will drop again till you reach equilibrium, then drop another 500 cals off to keep progress going

13. Ibanez Guy

Ibanez Guy New Member

I've been following weight watchers, as every 25lb interval goes by, the number of alloted points drops, so in essence, I have been cutting calories.

14. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I always break through plateaus by changing my entire program. I use to run a program till I got stagnant now I do it about every 2 months and take a week off to recover.

You could also change your intensity (60 second rest or supersets), rep ranges (go from high reps to low reps), set ranges (5x5 as opposed to 3x8)

If you are heavy cardio based change the style of cardio you do or the way you do it. I had a buddy who was a big runner and if he got stagnant on times he would run a couple runs backwards.

Body will adapt to your routine so you have to throw it off.

15. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.