How to boost the volume on the rear two speakers in a 5.1?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1BadZ, Jul 16, 2006.

1. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

First off, I know little to nothing about home stereo. Second I've hobbled together my meager sound system. Sounds alright to me, but in the big scheme of things, it is probably crap.

I recently got my parents old Kenwood KR-V5570 5.1 reciever. 50 watts to the center and both sides. 20 watts to both rears. Not bad for free, and better than what I had.

I had to run about 30 feet of wire (Monster Cable Monster XP Radio shack wire I sense some of you cringing now.) around my room. I had to go the long way around because the short way had two closets and a doorway to go past.

I've got the reciever set to +10dB in the back and it's barely audiable. My question is this. Is there any way to boost the volume of those rear speakers. Like with a different amp? Anything?

After I get out of college, and get a real job, I'll be upgrading everything.

But for now, my setup is as follows. Fear the Circuit City junk!

Reciever: Kenwood KR-V5570. 50 watts front and center, 20 watts rear.

Front L&R: DCM KX12 "Series 2" loudspeaker. 12" sub, 6" midrange, 3/4" tweeter. 250 watt max, 8 ohm.

Center: Infinity Center Channel Speaker (PRIMUS C25). 2 - 5&1/4 midrange, 3/4" tweeter. 150 watt max.

Rear L&R: Infinity Bookshelf Speaker (PRIMUS 150). 5&1/4 midrange, 3/4" tweeter. 100 watt max.

Wire: Monster Cable Monster XP.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not sure i know on my current ghetto sony receiver the +10db gain on any setting doesnt do jack shit hardly, it could be that ur receiver is weak sauce especially with that wattage listed

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

get more efficent rears...

4. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

The DCM's are probably much more sensitive than the Infinitys which could be why your rears sound so quiet in comparison. In the speaker set up menu try bringing down the level of the L+R (maybe -6 or 8db) and see if the overall volume level is better.

I had KX12's in college, too. They were a lot of fun

5. Bowzyr

Bowzyr sup bro

non-matching center channel / fronts ftl, in general.

6. 1BadZ

Yeah, I was looking around at different recievers and there is alot better out there. Its an investment I'll have to make.

I didn't think of that, thanks!

I got the DCM's first. They were paid by accident "pain and suffering" money. :big grin: Then I inherited the reciever and the two Infinity rears. I got the center to match the rears.

7. 1BadZ

Well, I have hillarious results. A model as dated as this only had 3 buttons to adjust the level. One for a center, one for the rear, and a way to adjust the delay. :rofl:

I am just going to buck up and buy a better reciever.