how to become a game developer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mattdamon, Nov 14, 2007.

1. mattdamon

mattdamon New Member

so i really have wanted to do this since i was like 14 and found out none of the schools in my state offer any degrees in computer gaming and simulation. so i was wondering if any one knows if learning COMPUTER-AIDED DRAFTING in college would help me at all?

2. Mint

Mint Active Member

Learning CAD is more for development of new products, engraving, milling ect...

From gaming you probably wanna start with 3d Studio max..

3. mattdamon

mattdamon New Member

all right what are some other good things to learn?

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

computer science...can't go wrong with that.

While you're working on your bachelors degree, write games and start building up your portfolio. As a student, you can buy cheep copies of Adobe Flash through AcademicSuperstore.com and you can write games in that or forget flash and just do them in C++. Oh and work your ass off to get good grades.

Then after you graduate apply to Guild Hall at SMU for a Masters in Game Development....or something like that. They have a 98% placement ratio in the industry. Then send me a check for $100,000 for helping you. :)

5. mattdamon

mattdamon New Member

o nice thanks for the help

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

My biological broly is something of a rockstar game developer.

Get a CS degree. A BS. Focus on C++ and graphics. Get really good at C++. Read a lot of books on it. They will quiz the shit out of you about C++ in the interviews.

Then apply as a junior at a lot of game companies. Take whats offered, learn and work your way up.

I would not waste your time with a masters. If you're passionate about gaming, and are a good programmer, you won't have trouble getting a job. Just avoid EA, and apply all over.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try to get a job with a smaller company. They're much, much more likely to not treat you like a bitch, and to appreciate your effort and your ideas. Then you can decide to stay or leave when they get bought out by Vivendi or EA Games.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Absolutely. A small, hot firm is critical. For god's sakes, you do not want to work for EA.

9. mattdamon

mattdamon New Member

EA more like EGay to work for right?

10. deusexaethera

Yes. Everyone there is homosexual, so if you work there, you'd better be a fan of (giving) blowjobs.

:hsughw:

11. Coottie

I disagree about EA. Programming is all about getting experience. Might as well go where the action is and nobody churns out more games than EA in a year.....nobody. Sure they're the modern day equivalent of a sweat shop but so what....you get hands on, real world experience.

As a noob to the gaming industry, it's a bad idea to turn down work simply because the company has a rep for working the dog piss out of their people. So what.....a lot of hard work is good for the soul. Once you get the XP then look for a smaller firm.

Now I'm not saying EA should be the first choice but it certainly could be and it wouldn't be a bad move.

12. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

So what's so bad about EA?

13. Coottie

:ugh:
    Reading owns you huh?

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Google people's experiences at EA. You don't want to work there.

15. Doc Brown

Time of posts owns you huh?
    :ugh:

16. Doc Brown

I was multi-tasking when I posted that. By the time I was done and hit submit,
    he had explained some of it.

17. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

There are lots of nightmare stories about EA that make it sounds worse than IBM's culture when it was suit and tie. You read one, you think... ok, maybe disgruntled employee. But there are dozens, and more. And each one is a tale of the worst kinds of things you can do to employees to drain them of all humanity.

You don't want to work for EA.

18. Doc Brown

Thanks. The reason I was looking for a little more clarity on the subject is that I have a kid in computer sciences. I try to pass tidbits like this down to him when I run across them.

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

see my website: http://codeXtreme.net

I just submitted 5 resumes because i am graduating in december with that website listed on all of them as my portfolio of independent work. I got a callback from all 5, and 1 of them called me 3 times and left 3 separate voice mails before I got back to them lol. I am now employed at a company called Terahertz Technologies writing code for embedded DSP chips to operate optical fiber testing equipment.

What do games have to do with that? Not a damn thing. I cannot relocate right now, or I would have pursued a more relevant job, but for the time being I am learning a lot where I am and making good money while I am still in school,

PM me if you want to talk about it more.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2007
  20. Coottie

And yet they crank out the games. THey wouldn't be able to do this if they constantly had to replace their team with ever release. People are staying there and you're not hearing about them. My guess would be that it's far more than a few dozen that stay....at least for awhile.

Hell it's a sweat shop, no question about it....but think of all the shit you'll get to see and do. It's like doctors going to war, they see tons more shit than they would if they were in safer environments and often it's invaluable experience.

21. deusexaethera

Except that developing software isn't fucking triage. It should not be rushed and haphazard, and whereas the same bandage will work on any human, one company's software development paradigm rarely works anywhere else unless you get to assemble your own all-new team for the job.

22. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

EA isn't known for GOOD games.

23. Coottie

While I agree with some of this, it appears to be very short sighted. Skills like learning to adapt and overcome, meet strict deadlines, work smart under pressure and more, these are universal skills and can easily translate to higher salaries at other companies.

24. Coottie

Way to completely miss my point.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you want to excel, you need to get into a smaller studio that won't bleed you like a stuck pig.