MIL How to become a Fighter Pilot?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by David, Apr 16, 2006.

1. David

David New Member

My dream job is to become a Fighter Pilot. I'm only a sophomore in HS currently, but whats it take? This is something I really want to do. I'm a 2nd year in AFJROTC, I have ~2.5 GPA total.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  2. David

David New Member

I'm having trouble finding requirements and such...

3. David

David New Member

I understand that I need to bring my school-life together. I'm working on it. And I've wanted to be a fighter pilot LONG before i saw any video about it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  4. burton564

burton564 New Member

you wanna be a fighter pilot, your ass needs to go to either af or naval academy.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

-you need grades (you can't let just anyone fly)
    - good eyes or correctable with lasik (no astigmatism, Lasik is free if you qualify)
    -a certain height weight requirement (gotta fit into the cockpit)
    -good score on the AFAST, no prior medical conditions, pass the physical and a willingness to leave everything behind and train.

afjrotc won't play a factor in determining yuor future as a fighter pilot.

6. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

7. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

I would not want to be a fighter pilot after attempting to stuff myself into an a-10 and a f-16

8. Mr Roboto

Mr Roboto Flat Black Member

It's the same. No Lasik, PRK with a waiver.

9. David

David New Member

I gotta pull my grades up starting NOW :( I have an F in Chem and a D in Geometry. The rest are C's and B's.

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

i'm tellin you, start looking into an academy. you can have a 3.0 and get in, they don't care about your grades all that much as long as you are well rounded, so join some school clubs and shit like that.

11. Mr Roboto

Also, keep this in mind: You will be watched. What do I mean by this? Well, there is no room for youthful indescretions. For example: an AFROTC cadet recently goes up for pilot categorization, and get his pilot slot. No real surprise, he's gotten great grades, consistently gets 100% on his PFT's, is involved in lots of activities. But one day the Commandant of Cadets of this cadet's detachment happens upon his Myspace page, where a friend of his has posted pictures of him drinking underage at a party, and being in the presence of marijuana use. The CoC decides to piss test him, and he hasn't been seen since. It's doubtful he will see the inside of a cockpit any time in the forseeable future. So watch your back, choose your friends wisely, and think first.

PS. This cadet was not me.

12. David

David New Member

Thats not something I need to worry about thankfully. Pretty much I'm focusing on my grades mainly right now. Gotta bring 2.5 up to 3.5+.

13. Mr Roboto

You may think that now, but you're only what, 15? 16? You do need to worry about it, if you really want to be a fighter pilot.

14. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

drop the word "fighter" and concentrate on getting a pilot slot. you have no idea now, nor will you for some time, what kind of aircraft you'll actually be comfortable in.

and getting the pilot slot is the "easy" part. once you get to pilot training, you'll realize why. it's a 54 week (give or take), extremely rigorous course with lots of 12+ hour days and constant evaluation and criticism. if you get behind the power curve you can pretty much forget it. they can teach anyone to fly if they had enough time, but the program is extremely fast paced and if you can't keep up and learn quickly you won't make it.

many of my friends who went to pilot training either failed out or realized early on that fighters weren't for them. obviously there are still lots of people who want to be fighter pilots, and many that actually achieve that goal, but you need to realize what is involved with military flying before you can legitimately set your goal on flying fighters.

15. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

raise your gpa
    play some varsity sports
    start writing your congressman(youll need their letter of recommendation i believe, or senator i dont remember)
    get involved with school activities
    basically, bolster the fuck out of your high school resume, and apply to the naval and airforce academy.
    those extras can help you out if your gpa is like a 3.0, but it probably wont if its any lower.

becoming a pilot any other way is alot more difficult.

16. David

David New Member

raise your gpa working on it
    play some varsity sports i suck at everything but soccer, dunno if i'm varsity quality
    start writing your congressman(youll need their letter of recommendation i believe, or senator i dont remember) what if I got a letter from the governor? my dad is in touch with him
    get involved with school activities i'm in afjrotc and video game club :rofl:
    basically, bolster the fuck out of your high school resume, and apply to the naval and airforce academy. i'm trying
    those extras can help you out if your gpa is like a 3.0, but it probably wont if its any lower. I should be 3.0+ starting my junior year

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  17. Accord

Accord New Member

Your dad knows Arnold?

18. David

David New Member

To an extent, but I'm sure he could get a letter of recommendation...

19. Vlachen

Vlachen New Member

I love it... pilots go through all that school just so they can break them, and I didn't even have to finish high school to fix 'em.

Ah, the irony.

20. Duncan

Duncan Guest

I am in pilot training right now in the mighty T-6. The road isn't as tough as people are making it sound, but right now you would have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a pilot slot.

I had a 3.2 high school GPA and a 3.0 as a business major in college then did the 2 year program AFROTC. I got a slot while some more qualified candidates didn't. Alot of it is luck, but you have to put yourself in the posiiton of having the possibility of getting lucky. The way you are heading, I would say that you would be lucky just to get into AFROTC much less any sort of academy.

Start getting focused if you really want this to happen. Some guys in my class have had their eyes on this prize since age 10 and they are hard chargers. None of the guys in UPT that I have met were getting C's and D's their sophomore year of high school.

21. burton564

burton564 New Member

What about congressman didn't you understand. You need a congressional appointment or vice presedential appt. and you aren't getting the vp. or you could just be cool like me when i applied, and get a presidential appt, without having to do anything. i love having retired parents.

22. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

you got an appointment to an academy yet you are a warrant officer? what gives? just wondering..

23. burton564

burton564 New Member

you ever been the af academy, i went and visited once and decided thats not how i wanted to spend my college life. so i chose not to go. so instead of going there i enlisted and then got into woft