how to balance unbalanced signal

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekniX, Feb 15, 2003.

1. TekniX

TekniX OT Supporter

can anybody point me to a schematic i can build that will balance my denons subwoofer output, before it gets to the (pro line) yamaha xs amplifier?

2. poisonfist

poisonfist Guest

First things first, does your Denon only have balanced out for the subwoofer output? If you have an unbalanced output that is available, you should use that by all means. There are 'dirty' ways that will allow you to connect balanced to unbalanced equipment and the vice versa, but then you lose all the advantages of balanced lines like noise-rejection. These are just tricks by wiring the cables by combining the shield and the inverted signal line together. You might as well not use balanced connection at all if you are converting it like this. Another problem that becomes an issue is the need for an interface between low-impedance levels with balanced signals and high-impedance sources with unbalanced signals as well. Basically, if you want to do it the correct way, it involves building a circuitry involving good quality op-amps (like NE5534A or OP27). For unbalanced to balanced you need to split the respective signals by combining an inverting and non inverting op amp from the signal line to split and then putting them through a buffer, and for balanced signal to unbalanced, you need to invert the negative line and add it to the positive line to combine the signals.

3. TekniX

TekniX OT Supporter

no there is no unbalanced out on the denon, i am forced to use it, because the yamaha amp only has balanced in.

give me schematics for that circuit.