A&P How to adjust DOF on Fuji S5000

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MadEmperor, Aug 16, 2004.

1. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

[font=&quot]I was taking some pictures of a wooden bridge in china. I wanted the front to be in focus, and the end to be out of focus.

Now, I tried to focus in on a close object.... The near subjects were to dark, so the bridge was over exposed. (used my hand and the ground)

I also tried turning on macro mode, with little success.

I also tried adjusting the focal point, down to 2.8 w/ & w/o macro mode.

Is there a way to make this work, w/o ps it?[/font]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

There are several ways to limit the dof (depth of field) in a shot.

1. Shoot with your lens wide open. This is the standard way to reduce dof, however it really only works if your lens is focused on a close object or you use a telephoto lens. The wider the lens, the more dof it creates. Also, the smaller the apeature, the greather the dof.

2. Telephoto lens. Due to the nature of telephoto lenses, having your background go out of focus is a given especially when shooting at wide apeatures. Sometimes you have to "stop down" your apeature just to have your subject stay in focus.

3. Close focus. By this, I don't mean macro shots. This technique means that you focus your lens on an object near the camera. The closer your lens is to it's maximum close up distance, the more out of focus the background becomes.

Shooting your bridge with a "normal" 50mm lens won't really work because you would be too far away from the bridge (in order to get the whole bridge in the shot) for close focusing to work. Remember, the farther away an object from the lens, the more in focus the rest of the shot.

The best way to achieve the result is to use a telephoto lens or photoshop it.

edit: your comment about the bridge being over exposed is because you left your camera on auto exposure. The camera was trying to expose for your hand, which obviously was in the shade. Don't leave your camera on autofocus or autoexposure. Learn how to use these features to get the settings you want then switch to manual.

3. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

Thanks for the great response

Unforunately the camera has limited manual controls.
    I'll have to try to adjust the exposure on the camera.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

it has the basics you need to wrok with. Use jcolman's answers and practice with them. the closer you are to you subject, (physically, not using your zoom, the more limited the DOF will be. Your lens I think has a variable aperature as you zoom, but use the smallest or one of the smallest F stops you can.