How the 'i' got into Apple

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Have you ever wondered when people started putting a lowercase `i' in front of words and what it stood for? In that case, read on

When was the lowercase "i" before an uppercase anything born, and what did it stand for?

Officials at Apple Computer were unhelpful, presumably because they suspected that etymological revelation would cause their stock to plunge again, but Dan Frakes of Macworld magazine informs me that the first i-product was the iMac in 1998: "Apple said at the time that the i in iMac stood for `Internet,' as the iMac was allegedly the easiest computer to connect to the Internet." Why not Imac or I-Mac? "They didn't want to dilute their brand name by lowercasing it (e.g., Imac)." And IMAX Corp, all caps, is a theater network founded in 1967.

The iMac led to the iBook, a laptop, in 1999, followed by Apple's iPhoto, iTunes and a bundle sold as iLife. The meaning of i went beyond "Internet" to be taken as "individual," "integrated," "interactive" or -- most appealing to consumers -- "what I want when I want it." Because it is difficult to copyright a letter of the alphabet, other companies jumped in: a furniture manufacturer calls its massage chair an iJoy "to emphasize the `individual' interaction with the chair."

Why wasn't iPod, which originally played only music, named iMusic? "Apple planned from the very beginning," says the Times tech columnist, David Pogue, "to expand its mission to text, photos, files and, as of this month, videos." The word pod was chosen, I deduce, to describe an all-purpose media module, its meaning "a container or protective housing," long associated with peas and pregnancy but in recent decades applied to the streamlined fuel compartments under the wings of aircraft.

2. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

I remember after the first iMacs came out in those distinct six different color schemes, there was a turntable needle company that made their needles in those six colors and called them i-something, iforget right now, it was hella gay.

3. rzarecta

rzarecta New Member

iNteresting

4. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I had an original iMac that ran 8.6. That shit was hot at the time!

5. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

I took my tangerine ibook to the apple store to see if they could fix the dc in board. He was like there's a flat rate for laptops but with all the pysical damage it'd be much higher. I was like how much? He said about 1,000. I like busted out laughing in his face.

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Hardware that old, I'm surprised it's not more. Just buy a new iBook.

7. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

Hockey puck mouse...:mamoru:

8. delslow

delslow my car may not be fast, but the back window goes d

the iMac wasn't Apple's first lowercase letter product though. That belongs to the eMate, the educational clamshell newton-based product. I actually have one deep in a pile of gadgets somewhere :wiggle:

[​IMG]

9. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

Those thiings are awesome