how the hell do i get rid of the trunk rattle?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M-1000, Nov 6, 2003.

1. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

03 sunfire, 2 12" alpine type s on a 600w amp. the subs are in a sealed box facing the towards the back of the car. sounds amazing inside, but when you step outside, close the door, all you hear is the loudest fucking rattle you could imagine. its not coming from inside the trunk, its not the hood, its not the bumper, its something coming from under/inside the car.

the two things that come to mind are getting the trunk filled (someone told me this, what exactly does it do?), and also i still have the spare in the trunk which sits right under the box and from outside it sounds like thats where the really loud rattle is coming from under the car. so maybe if i take the spare out it will solve my problem?

2. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

it could be a host of things that could be causing the rattle. the first thing i would check based on what you have said here is the spare tire. usually there is a form of nut and bolt that keeps the spare "locked" in place. that could be the source of the rattle (i've seen it happen several times.) it could also be a good idea to dynamat the trunk, it would definately help the sound in the car at the very least.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the 3 spots i had to do on my sunfire was...
    1.rubber washers inbetween the spoiler and the deck lid, and spray the underside of the deck lid with sound deadener.
    2.sound deadener on the back of the tag, and rubber washers inbetween the tag and all 4 screw holes.
    3.get gasline hosing, cut a slit longways the whole length and place on the trunk spring rods.

the gas filler may also be an issue, some j-body owners have complained about that.
    also the rear deck might be the problem, might try sound deadening there if none of the others helped.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

look in to edead for a good inexpensive deadening material.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep2/edead.htm I have it in my civic's doors and trunk, and you can't hear a single little rattle outside the car.

5. Dom Toretto

Dom Toretto ^--- Too Fast, and too furious

A cheap, very effective alternative to those expensive sound deadening materials is that spray insulator foam. Any home-depot store will have it for 2.00$ a can. This stuff sprays into the alcoves in your trunk lid, then expands and fills and gaps and reduces the resonances that would normally pass through the trunk lid. I sprayed my trunk lid with it in the nesecary areas and I have little to NO rattles or vibrations. I can knock on the top of my trunk and it's completely solid, feels like knocking on a piece of wood. :cool:

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yes it works untill it warps all of yoru body pannels even better would be to get some peel and seal or simaler product form lowes

7. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

theres no plastic border around the licence plate, and that would be one hell of a rattle for a licence plate if it was

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

there should be above the tag there is 2 holes, if you stick your hand in there you can put your fingers behind the plate(at least there is on the older 3rd gens.). you can take a couple peicecs of foam, and stuff it inbetween there.