How the Hell Do I Get My Wireless Internet to Work :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fitz, Mar 15, 2008.

1. fitz

fitz .

I can connect fine.

[​IMG]

I connect then click on FF or IE and neither of them loads any web pages. :(

I have Verizon FiOS and am using their router. I don't know why this doesn't work. I don't remember making the network named MVHP3 but I assume it's mine and I connect to it and guess the password which was just "admin". :dunno:

Doesn't seem to work though. :wtc:

There's probably some simple basic step I forgot to do and don't know about.

2. ktquinn

ktquinn New Member

Are you using DHCP? and also, are other programs able to connect to the internet that aren't using port 80 (i.e anything but web browsers)

3. fitz

fitz .

No, I tried to use AIM and that would not connect either. Is there a way to check if I'm using DHCP? I'm not sure. :o

4. mattATX

mattATX OT Supporter

DNS problem?

5. fitz

fitz .

I google'd it but is that what you name your network?

It says it means translating host names to IP's but my internet works flawless when connected with the cat5 :dunno:

I suck :o :(

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

DNS = Domain Name Service = How you translate IP addresses into domain names.

Check your wireless settings. Open a command prompt and run 'ipconfig /all' and see what your DNS servers are listed as. See if you can ping those. Then, run 'nslookup www.yahoo.com' or some other site to see if DNS is working.

7. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

network connections > right click on internet connection > repair

8. fitz

fitz .

thanks for the help

here's what it said on the computer downstairs
    [​IMG]

This is what it said on my laptop when I was supposedly connected to the network.
    [​IMG]

9. fitz

fitz .

I suck at the internetz :wtc:

10. fitz

fitz .

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed.
    Renewing your IP Address

Even though the Wireless Network Connection icon in Network Connections says Connected underneath it
    [​IMG]

11. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Does the downstairs computer work? It is getting an IP addres apparently. Though the DNS sever is set to the same IP as the gateway, which means that the router is either forwarding DNS requests or someone configured DHCP on it wrong.

The laptop is not getting an address, 169.254.x.x is the Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) range, that's what the system assigns itself when DHCP is enabled but no DHCP server can be contacted. That is non-routable, meaning you won't be able to connect to anything beyond your local subnet unless it is specifically configured on the upstream router (which it should not be for that IP range). If you know the address range that the router is supposed to give out via DHCP, manually assign the IP/Gateway/DNS on the laptop and it will work.

12. fitz

fitz .

Yes, the computer downstairs works fine and so does my computer which is located upstairs and the laptop would work fine if I plugged the cat5 cable into it :dunno: just not wireless

Is there anyway I can make the DNS server not set to the same IP as the gateway? If I do that - should it work?

In the DNS options window when you Click Properties, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). the option for "Obtain an IP Address automatically" is selected

Could you tell me how I figure out that address range the router gives out? I tried assigning the IP/Gateway/DNS numbers on my laptop by using my IP 192.168.1.2 but that didn't work

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  13. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Is this the password you are putting in for the encryption? That is probably not the correct password. Go into your router settings and set the WEP/WPA encryption password and then use that one for all things you want to connect to the internet.

14. 7960

7960 New Member

you are associated (connected)

you are not authenticated (allowed to use)

the router has security enabled............match the settings in your laptop client.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

forget all of this. see above.

16. fitz

fitz .

I don't know how to go about finding the router settings and matching them on my laptop? Could you explain how? I am so dumb. :wtc:

So basically I type in the IP for my router (http://192.168.1.1 ) and then set a password where it says Wireless?

edit: okay I logged in which I had never done before with this new verizon router lol

Current Wireless Status:Wireless:ON
    WEP:ON
    64 Bit WEP Key: Numbers Here (not sure if I should keep them secret :dunno:)
    Channel: Automatic
    SSID Broadcast: Enabled

After I put in that WEP Key I still can't get on the internet it says Connection Timed Out but under the Wireless Activity it says Sent 60 Packets Received 17 after a Duration of 3 minutes. Before it wasn't receiving any packets :dunno:

Oh I forgot I had messed with my IP settings in post 12 :rofl: I set that back to default and it works. :bowdown:

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND I AM OFFICIALLY RETARDED

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  17. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Cool, glad you got it working.

18. fitz

fitz .

yeah me too :)

thanks for the help - very much appreciated