how the hell do I disable email downloading on my Blackberry Pearl?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Feb 21, 2009.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I use the Gmail app for my email needs.. I don't want a blackberry email inbox. The gmail app is faster, nicer, and I don't like the blackberry one. I'd prefer to use that interface ONLY for SMS/MMS, and use Gmail for Gmail.

Unfortunately, the Blackberry message menus are cluttered with Email options, and they're 100% worthless if you don't have an email address configured. At least if you have one configured but prefer another program, they're only 99% worthless. Also, without an email address configured the blackberry browser turns into a pile of shit. Unless you have a regular URL in your history, there's no way to use it for web.. it just keeps going to the page to set up an email address.

With the email address configured, though, I get all of my email in the blackberry message inbox AND in my gmail app. Terrible.

So is there any way to either remove all of the Email contact, Compose Email, etc menu items? Or is there a way to prevent from the Blackberry from actively retrieving messages on the configured email account?

2. White Stormy

Also, is there any way to delete Trooper Typing, Handango InHand, etc instead of just hiding them? They don't appear in the Applications list.

3. White Stormy

If you don't have an email address set up, and accidentally click the worthless "Compose Email" menu option, it makes you click through a warning that you don't have email set up.. every time. I've probably had to click that damn thing 500 times.

4. White Stormy

it's a Pearl 8120, FYI. I've never had a real problem with it that wasn't fixed by a reboot.

I'd upgrade to a Curve 8900 but the price is still way too high

5. White Stormy

I got rid of these by removing the listings in the Service Book menu

6. Brian

Brian New Member

easy go to your blackberry setup site
    for example att.blackberry.com

when you're there delete the email account

7. ThomasAJ

ThomasAJ New Member

did u figure it out?

8. White Stormy

nope. I just removed the email account from the blackberry service and get it through only the gmail app.

the "compose email" menu item is still worthless.. but since I got the google chat app (and gmail), I hardly do any text messaging anymore, so it doesn't bug me as much :o