SRS how the fuck do you quit smoking cigs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cope, Mar 20, 2007.

1. cope

cope GETONMYHYPE

shit is impossible.
    god damnit.

if ive smoked for 4 years or so.. what are my chances of getting cancer etc?

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Not likely to get cancer if you quit soon unless you where a chain smoker or something.

3. deviant

deviant rest your trigger on my finger

your lungs should be back to that of a normal non-smoker after like 4 years of non-smoking.

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

switch to chew or patches or something

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

not impossible at all. Many people quit and stay quit.

I was a pack-a-day smoker for 10 years but I've been smoke free for about 8 years now. It's not easy but it certainly can be done.

I wrote a whole bunch o shit in this thread about quitting:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3066564

6. i killed tupac

2 months for me!

get the patch.

7. smellslikeshitgoddam

smellslikeshitgoddam Eat Shit

it is defiantly hard, but if you want it enough it is possible.

8. Abyss

Abyss New Member

First cut down, smoke half smokes. you will want more but just keep it like that for a couple days, you have to be determined to stop smoking and realize that your inhaling chemicals that will kill you. Just make sure your dont ever touch a cigarette again. I've quit many times... lol

9. Slickismax

Slickismax New Member

I decided to quit smoking today, and I have a date tonight with a very cute girl who doesn't know that I smoke, and she doesn't smoke. So far, I've had half of one cig, and I normally have had three by this time! I'm going to try and not have another one at all today. Wish me luck!

10. poonharpoon

poonharpoon New Member

i have been seriously thinking about quitting. i have tried it before, and actually got through like a month before i started up again.... i know, i know. I was a weak willed SOB back in the day.

these are very good pointers, and i will try these things out. good info ladies/gents.

11. duckbutter

duckbutter New Member

theres a cd by paul mckenna that tricks your mind into not wanting to smoke
    it worked on my dad who smoked 30 a day for 35 years

give it a try

12. Coottie

You aren't weak willed at all. You are physically, emotionally and psychologically addicted to smoking. Nicotine is a drug, make no mistake about that....and it's HIGHLY addictive.

Don't beat yourself up because you went back to smoking. However, as soon as you are ready to try again, go for it. Do whatever it takes to get off cigs. If you fail again, try to learn more about how to not smoke. Educate yourself on the consequences, look at pictures of people with lung cancer, read the statistics.

Then to get extra motivation, look for healthy people. Get real clear about the person you want to become and how smoking is holding you back from becoming all you can be.

The try the patch....it really does work to help ween you off of nicotine....but then there's all the other stuff that goes along with it.

Hang in there....you'll eventually be smoke free if you are willing to sacrifice. I can assure you (having now 8+ years of smoke free life) it's totally worth it to quit.

13. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

1/2 long term smokers die from smoking. I quit over 3 months ago by reading a book: Alan Carr - Easy Way to Stop Smoking

14. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

quit cold turkey. you must want to quit and commit to quitting.

every time you feel a craving go through the following steps.

first, say in your head "I am craving a cigarette"
    second, say in your head "of course I'm craving cigarettes, I'm a nicotine addict"
    third, say in your head "the craving will go away"

addiction gives you compulsions, behaviors that you don't consciously plan to do but your drive for the drug carries them out.

the idea here is to make the conscious and rational decision to abstain.

don't even have one, never again.

15. Ivy

Ivy New Member

You have to REALLY want to quit. I smoked for 7 years, and I got to a point where I was just so sick of it. I kept smoking less and less then one day I said the hell with it, and threw away the smokes. That was nearly 10 years ago.

16. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

This has nothing to do with willpower.

This is one of the most powerful addictions possible, even more addictive than heroin.

Does anyone look at a heroin addict and say "he has no willpower?"

I believe that anyone who takes the time to truly understand the psychology of nicotine addiction can quit with a minimum of discomfort.

There is an excellent ebook out there, I'll try to find it and post the title. Dude who wrote it smoked 3 to 5 packs a day and once burned the back of his hand trying to put a cigarette in his mouth when there was already one there :rofl:

17. sterlin

sterlin New Member

I smoked for 16 years, 2-3 packs a day, it is possible for you to quite. I used nicotine gum, and now a chew trident gum, and drink lots of water.

18. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Currently struggling with this. Made it *almost* two days, and then ended up literally buying a pack and not realizing it.. walked into the gas station to pre-pay for gas and get some water, and then the words, "And a pack of Camel Lights in a box" came out of my mouth. :hs:

I'm chewing the hell out of gum now, and I've made it a day again.. gum and water galore. Going to try this audio CD too.

19. Coottie

Did you buy the pack? If yes, did you smoke them??

This sounds like one of those old habits you used to have and literally just woke up 1/2 way through it. This situation WILL happen again. The proper response is to say to the cashier:"You know what....I've changed my mind about the cigs. I don't want them." And leave it at that. Don't buy them...don't take them home just-in-case. Don't even have them close to you....it's too big of a temptation.

Also, don't beat yourself up for going back to smoking. It happens to all of us. The important thing is to get right back to non-smoking ASAP.

Also, read my previous posts in this thread, I linked to another thread where I give many suggestions on how I dealt with quitting. Maybe some of them will help you also.
    I couldn't stand the taste of the gum. If it works for you great...if not, you might want to try the patches. They worked wonders for me.

Hang in there man....it really does get easier.

20. i killed tupac

get the damn patch man! It works! I been over 3 months now, and thats from a pack a day for 10 years.

21. BaronVonBullshit

BaronVonBullshit New Member

Get a RX for WELLBUTRIN. 3 months should cover you. It's relatively cheap (it's also used as an antidepressent) and it basically makes you feel like crap if you smoke while youre on it... and for me, i honestly never got the itch to smoke. Worked really well.

22. Nilinet

Nilinet New Member

Can I super glue my mouth shut and call it a day?

23. i killed tupac

only if you post a pic

24. the pretender

the pretender teh burninator

Take a plane somewhere at least 1,000 miles away. Get off the sumbitch, go get a hotel room, go to bed. Next day, get up and go do fun stuff. Repeat. Don't smoke. Eat a lot. You'll hardly notice except during the most mundane of moments. :p

Really, though - kill any routines you have that encourage it. Gives you an opportunity to explore life a little and to get rid of a hindrance. Keep busy.

25. bovine

bovine New Member

I smoked a pack and a half a day of Marlboro Red 100s and every morning I woke up it felt like someone was standing on my chest. When I decided to quit, I went out and bought a cheap bike and started riding it every other day. I started at around 1-2 miles and worked up from there. It was pretty awful for the first couple of months; I coughed up what looked like escargot after each ride, but in the end I think fitness and exercise is what kept me from going back.

I guess I defined myself as a smoker in my mind, and I couldn't picture myself without a cigarette in my hand (I started smoking at age 13). I needed something to replace that image of myself as a smoker, and I chose "fitness buff" as that replacement. I'm coming up on 4 years w/o a single cigarette this December and I bike 15 miles roundtrip to and from school every day. I feel sure that if I hadn't redefined myself in my mind as a non-smoker I would have gone back within a month like I had 5-10 times before. The only difference between the numerous times I failed and the one time I succeeded was my mental re-configuration of myself into a healthy non-smoker.

I guess my recommendation is to replace smoking with something you can enjoy and which you would have to give up if you went back to smoking.