How strong is fiberglass?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, May 19, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I'm working on a frame to hold my woofer boxes, amps, caps, and PC. I realize that I need bracing underneath where the amps and boxes are going to be mounted, but I have a very small PC for the car (7"x12"x4") the weighs about 8lbs. the way I want to have it mounted is be like a dresser drawer, only you pull it up from the top, and it would sit on a fiberglass lip. do you think that the fiberglass lip will hold 8lbs over a 7"x4" area? this needs needs to be removable for maintenance and networking purposes, and a drawer style system was the simplest one I could come up with.

the way I have my "frame" set up is, some MDF under where the woofer boxes and amps are going to be mounted, and the rest is just a very open frame of 1"x1" wooden sticks with nylon stretched out over the entire area. My plan is to fiberglass over everything, making a solid (though probably heavy as fuck) shell that I can then mount into place as a single unit. I'm going to build up the 'glass to 1/4" all over, but my primary concern is that where I want the computer "drawer" mounted is in the middle of what will essentially be a 18"x15" sheet of fiberglass.

I have not yet begun to apply resin to the frame yet, so if there are any major flaws with my design/idea, there's still plenty of room to make major changes

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

fiberglass is strong. don't worry.

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

cool. I'm making some minor changes to the frame because I don't trust the 'glass still, but i should begin the actual glassing saturday afternoon.