How should older cars be treated?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by shadi, Oct 13, 2003.

1. shadi

shadi New Member

Hey guys,

I just got my bros 92 camry to use as my car while im in college and I dont really know much about the car. These are the specs. Its a 1992 Toyota Camry (made in Japan :cool: ) it has the 3.0 v6 and its over 120,000 miles.

What type of miantanence should I do to keep it running strong? What kind of things should I look out for with a car that has this age and mileage?

Finally, is it worth it to keep this car for a couple more years (2 possibly 3) or should i sell it for a couple Gs and buy something better?(keep in mind im a college student so little money and I drive like 3 times a week for short distances, research)

2. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Have it looked at. If it seems it will hold up well, stick with it. If you think it's on its way out, sell it.

I'm sorta like in the same situation and I'm trying to figure out if my car is goign to last or not.

3. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

i used to drive a 96, and sometimes still do. one key thing i had an issue with are the brakes. they are really soft. in my current car, at a stop light i usually rest my foot half way or less on the brake and the car will stay still. in the camry, i had to press all the way on the brake or it will start scooting forward. have a mechanic check the brakes or just replace the pads altogether. it's better to be safe than sorry. i'm sure keeping the car for another 2-3 years should be no problem. i see camrys from the 80 still running on the road.

4. shadi

shadi New Member

How are older camry's when it comes to their age?

I mean, will a 92 v6 keep going for long or should I get rid of it, anyone have one?

5. Mr Bridge

Mr Bridge New Member

Camrys are really good cars and usually tend to last a really long time if they were properly taken care of. My friend used to drive a 91 and that thing ran great for how old it was. Just take it to a mechanic to get a basic inspection to make sure their isnt any major problems, and if not then I would keep it. If it's just a car you're using for daily driving the car should be fine. Just keep up with the basic stuff like oil changes and you shouldn't have any problems

6. shadi

shadi New Member

Here is the only thing im worried about with the car.

I only use it like 2 or 3 times a week and sometimes it sits in the garage for like 4 days straight without being touched. Will this affect the car at all or not?

7. dbrooster

dbrooster New Member

just make sure you start it periodically and run it for about 10 min. so the battery stays charged.